Proraso Question.....

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by poppi, Jul 9, 2016.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So I use CO Bigelow and really like it. I have used the old Proraso Red and liked it a lot too. Great shaves every time and, for me, wonderful skin care.

So I would like to ask if Proraso users could let me know how they feel about the rest of the product line.

Is it all similar to COB/Red? Better? Worse? Equal?

Thanks in advance and enjoy those shaves.

whiteboy_cannon and Bobcat like this.
  2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I have only used the green in addition to the red. It is every bit as slick and the post shave feels great. I actually like the post shave feel of the green better than the red because it has a light menthol level. Next up for me will be the white because I have heard really good things about it and it's post shave moisturizing and feel.

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with Proraso.

whiteboy_cannon and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I started DE shaving with Proraso Green Cream. Now I get the tub. I haven't used the others (can't stand sandalwood scent) but I think the Green is still one of my 'goto' soaps. The eucalyptus and menthol is refreshing.

Jayaruh and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I will be using the Proraso Blue cream tomorrow. I always get great lather and a great shave. I am also a big fan of the Proraso White tub.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have used the red, white, and green, but not the blue. Maybe @Bobcat can fill us in on that one.
    The white line is the standout for me. The smell is fantastic (oatmeal, green tea, and thyme), and it works as well as the others IMHO. It is also formulated for sensitive skin, which is just an added bonus. That makes it great for allergy season or if you had a nick or weeper in the last couple of days.

In addition, I feel that proraso's white line aftershave balm is one of the best balms on the market, and I would highly recommend it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

7. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

not the biggest fan of the creams, but LOVE the preshave and postshave's....use before/after EVERY shave.

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Not a fan of the proraso. Although I only tried the green tub. But that's because I couldn't get any slickness out of it. I don't know how you all did it, but it left me extremely dry each pass and after.

9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I do like Proraso they're such good value.
    The green is great if you need to wake up and be refreshed.
    The white is great is you had a bad shave the day before and your face is a bit sore. Plus it smells great too.
    The blue is fantastic if you want a quick and easy creamy lather.
    The red...is good if you like Sandalwood.

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Might I add: In addition to the green's menthol, they all but the red contain menthol. Blue the lightest, come white then green at the top.

Lovely!

Bobcat and dustmite like this.
  11. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Only have green and red, love them both!

12. John Gilbert

John Gilbert New Member

I tried the green for the first time today. Prior to this, I had tried the white one time, which was not a memorable shave, but looking back now, I know that is my own fault. Today after a hard and very busy day, I was hot, tired and sweaty, so I decided I wanted a shower and a cold water shave. I used my brand new tub of proraso green. I had recently finished a full rotation of about 25 artisan and a few English soaps and just for the heck of it I bought the proraso based on a yootoob review, I think it was nickshaves. I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say it was excellent. That menthol kick was great and combined with a cold water shave it was even better. The slickness, the scent, the menthol kick, I was impressed. I am really going to enjoy this green formula. The summer has been hot, upper 90's and low 100's here. That cool menthol was just right cure for the way I was feeling today. I topped that off with some Floid blue and man I feel great now. The green is good gentlemen. Very good.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Proraso is amazing in cream or croap. I'm a cream guy, but have tried the green and red in both cream and croap and find them equally enjoyable. Blue is one of my favorites of all creams. It's not a daily driver, but more like a nice change up for the right occasion. The white croap is what all oatmeal/tea artisan soaps aim to emulate.

Demidog likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm one of the few in this thread that enjoys Porazo Red. I've not tried the cream, only the soap.

Pros: It makes a nice thick, almost paste-like lather. It uses genuine sandalwood oil unlike most "sandalwood" scented shave products.

Cons: the lather is thick enough to be detrimental if one wishes to use a mild razor. Also, Porazo soaps tend to leave a scum of white film on the razor that does not rinse off. It can be wiped off with a towel, and scrubbing bubbles will also remove it, but it's an annoyance to me, as I generally like to keep my razors looking clean and shiny.

Demidog, simms623 and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I love the smell of Proraso Red. I love it enough that even though I don't think it is quite top - tier in performance, I would use it anyway.

I can't stand that white film. It is bad enough to have to wipe it off your razors every day, but it also gets all over your brushes. Maybe I am too OCD about it, but it is always right tight in there on the handle, around the base of the knot. You can get that off, but then I cant stop thinking about what is all over the hairs. I have gotten rid of all the white film soaps in my den.

I am just waiting for the Proraso Red Splash.

16. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Ya, not a fan of the scum either. Kind of a pita as I like my shiny things to be shiny.

I also love the Proraso Red and will be getting some of the aftershave... eventually.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

By "waiting on," do you mean it's in the mail coming to you? Im just asking because I am very curious to know how close the scent is to the soap and how long lasting the scent is.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

No. Basically I am waiting for it to show up at Maggard's. They are pretty much my only "non-artisan website" supply store.

19. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Now that I've used all four products in the lineup, I can comment on them. They are all different from one another and each one brings something unique to the table. I don't know if you've already used white and blue since you created this thread, but I think that they are my favorites. White is marketed as anti-irritation and it truly works. My skin has never felt calmer following a shave than after I had used the white soap. Blue is the most moisturizing of the four and it also has a really unique scent.

While I really enjoy the post-shave feel that I get from white and blue, green and red are also fantastic. I really can't just settle on one so I'm ordering all four creams and when I have the dough, I'll probably also go for all four aftershaves. If you like green and red, then I think that you'll love white and blue unless the scents just aren't for you.

20. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I love all the soaps and creams and use regularly, but don't use any of their pre/post shave products. Great value and performance!