Proraso White Pre-Shave Review

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by feeltheburn, Oct 17, 2014.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use Noxzema w/moisturizer as a pre-shave. It has basically the same ingredients (including menthol) as Proraso pre-shave at 1/10th the price per oz. It's readily available at any drugstore too.

2. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I tried that for a bit, but I didn't like the film it left on my razor.

3. numerouno

numerouno Member

How does it feel after being rubbed in ? Does it make them whiskers soft? or its just a good post shave?

4. LaSalle82

I just use it as a pre-shave & face wash. I find it does soften the whisker and when rinsed off, leaves the face clean with no soapy residue. It contains menthol, camphor and eucalyptus so it has a cooling sensation. Its a simply moisturizing cleansing cream. I don't use it as a post shave as I use an AS or ASB

numerouno likes this.
  5. numerouno

numerouno Member

Oh ok. Do you prefer to leave it on and lather up on it or wash away like a face wash ? What way feels better ?

6. LaSalle82

I apply it prior to showering and let it work on my face 3-5 minutes. (You can brush your teeth and floss while you're waiting). Wash it off in the shower and let the warm water do its thing on your whiskers as you shower. Towel off, wet face down, and lather up!

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. numerouno

numerouno Member

Nice method. I will try this. Last question: How does it smell ? I had the white soap but the smell was very faint and i didn't like it. Is it the same as the soap ? Thank you for the prompt replies friend.

8. LaSalle82

With regard to scent, it smells like menthol/eucalyptus or Noxzema............. To me, Noxzema is a product that has a definitive scent. I bought a jar of Proraso pre-shave once and my wife said it smelled like Noxzema. I smelled her Noxzema and she was right. That got me looking at the ingredients in both and I found they were almost identical. Give it a try and see if you like it as its only about $4-$5 a jar.

9. LaSalle82

Or just go to a drugstore and take a whiff. There are two types, regular Noxzema and Noxzema w/moisturizer. The regular has a stronger scent. I use the one with moisturizer which is somewhat milder scented.

10. numerouno

numerouno Member

I'll get the traditional green one. Thanks again!

11. Spit_Fire

I've had good success with this. You can also lather on top of it, but it leaves a film on my razor which is hard(ish?) to clean. Someone has suggested it's the gelatin in the Noxzema. The proraso is not supposed to leave a film if you lather on top of it.

12. LaSalle82

I've never lathered over the top of the Noxzema as I've always rinsed it off before lathering

13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I was curious how well this would perform as a post shave balm, so I rubbed some all over my face this afternoon. The cream absorbed well and left my face feeling fresh and cool. I will add that it feels a bit tacky and not very smooth to the touch.

I have both the green and white, and will say that they work pretty good as a pre-shave wash. I agree that the residue can leave a film on your razor, which is not good for me because I get pretty OCD with keeping my gear clean.

The green is much stronger than the white as far as menthol, but I prefer the scent of the white cream.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

It used to be marketed as a pre and/or post product. While the label's changed, you'll still see it on website sold that way. They changed to marketing it as a pre when they started pushing the milky balm as the post.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  15. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That makes sense, thanks for the info. I don't think I will use it as a post again. Not very smooth.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  16. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

It was cool to try just starting out. It worked the same as Noxzema. My girlfriend likes it, so I force her use to use Noxzema to save cash, haha.

17. Spit_Fire

I ended up getting some of the proraso, I'd say it's quite similar to Noxzema, but one issue I had lathering on top of Noxzema is seems to leave a film on the razor(and probably the brush, but I don't see it). It's somewhat hard to clean off the razor. Proraso doesn't seem to have that problem.

18. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Ah. I haven't used it in months, So I don't know if I can comment on that. All I know is that it made too little of an improvement on the shave to warrant buying it again, but the GF loved it when shaving her legs(I think it was more of a confidence booster anyway with a Black Beauty). Noxzema works better, I think. I don't know. I haven't used a pre-shave in quite a few months.

19. Spit_Fire

Yeah, I may not buy it again, I liked using the Noxzema but I started washing it off before lathering and it worked quite well.

20. LaSalle82

I wash the Noxzema off during my shower