Puck or Scuttle?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by matteob, Oct 26, 2016.

1. matteob

matteob Active Member

Hello gentlemen I want to know if it is better to lather a semi soft soap (croap) by cutting off a piece and pressing it into your scuttle/bowl or lathering up in the puck like you would with a hard soap then building in the scuttle?The first method is recommended by the owner of Phoenix and Beau for his tallow soap but it seems a bit wasteful??

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Personally I like the puck approach simply because it saves space and I can switch out soaps faster and store them. If I put an entire chunk of soap in a scuttle, I'm committed to using it until it goes.

PickledNorthern and matteob like this.
  3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I load on the puck. Build lather on my face. Keep the brush in the scuttle for warmth.

Eeyore and matteob like this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

The right way? There isn't one. Just personal preference really. I load on the puck. I'm thinking of buying a brush scuttle to keep my brush warm though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Sometimes from puck to face lather. Sometimes from puck to mug lather. Depends on my mood.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, personal preference.
    I keep all my soap pucks in their own small glass bowl. I load the brush from there, then whip up my lather in a separate mug or scuttle.

matteob likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I typically gather soap from the puck and then build a lather in a lather bowl or just face lather.

I rarely cut/spoon any soap out into a bowl unless it is a small sample or from a soap passaround

matteob likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Loaded brush, build on face. Cold water shaver...

matteob likes this.
  9. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I just received the Crown King dual chamber scuttle last week and switched from loading directly from the puck to putting some soap pieces in the scuttle. I really like the warm lather from the scuttle. Nevertheless, I like loading from the scuttle because I only have 1 brush and it is a crappy Perfecto badger that I bought on Amazon for $9. It works fine but sheds a hair regularly. Using the scuttle keeps this out of my soaps and I avoid getting them wet. I do agree that if I take too much soap out of the bowl, I consecutively shave with the same soap until it is used up, but I have a pretty good feel for the amount to use to avoid this problem. Since this method has been working well for me, I think I will stick with it for awhile and see long term which is better. I will re-evaluate when I get another brush - I plan on ordering a synthetic from the Italian Barber when the next round of Hawk razors become available to fill the cart and avoid shipping! I think either way works well.

matteob likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I load all of my soaps off the puck, or in the tub, and then either go straight to the face or too a bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dangermouse and matteob like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I now keep 3 soaps in 3 bowls. Cella croap, I cut off a piece, press into bowl and use it as I would hard soap, keep the rest of the kilo in the fridge. VDH is a soap I've used for many years and Col. Conk that I've added recently, I nuke glycerin soaps into bowl for 30 sec. Before we got a Microwave I'd just put puck in my mug or melt in double boiler on stove.

matteob likes this.
  12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I lather on the puck and build lather in a mug. Either way is fine but I see no harm in loading my brush on the puck.

matteob likes this.
  13. matteob

matteob Active Member

@PickledNorthern Nice to see you here mate! Talking of cups...

I think I will lather in puck then transfer to cup but will press something like Phoenix and Beau tallow soap to base of the scuttle as the toasty feeling of a hot lather on a cold day is gorgeous. However I am stingy especially when it comes to $15 artisan soap as I am a man of modest means.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good to see you, Sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Queen - Is this a real conversation ?:)

16. matteob

matteob Active Member

Huh lol?

17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My current set up is a puck of Williams and a Strong Set brush soaking in hot water in an Old Spice mug 'til the sink fills up. Then I dump the water & beat the bejeebus out of it until I get a good, stiff lather built it, adding a bit of hot water 'til I think it's ready. Then I slather it all over my face & scrape away. Works for me.

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I store my used soap pucks in small Ziplock containers. I load my brush directly from the puck container and then make my lather in a small stainless steel bowl(same dimensions as the VDH ceramic bowl). My pucks of used soap are safely stored, easily stacked, take up little space and are very available whenever I want to use them.:)