Pulled the trigger on some vintage Gillette's.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thinklikeh20, Feb 21, 2012.

1. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Well I am officially addicted :)

After learning on my 3 piece LORD I figured it was time to try a vintage. My grandfather isn't willing to give his up yet, so ebay it was. Here are the three razors I acquired. Correct my if any of the ID's are wrong but I'm pretty sure Iv'e got an 53 SS, 54 Original Flare Tip SS and a Flare Tip Fatboy(unsure of year). The 53 SS is pretty much mint, 54 is looking good, the Fatboy is a little rough but I'm sure it will shave fine. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just have to decide which one to try first, and with what blade? :happy108:

178-bplatoon, IAmTheJody and hdflame like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

There is no such thing as a Flare Tip Fat Boy. The FB is an adjustable that has a collar at the top of the handle numbered 1-9. You have a cased 40's style Super Speed and two 50's style Flare Tips. Nice razors, by the way.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Btw, a 24-hour soak in undiluted Simple Green and a little bit of Peroxide will automatically lift a lot of the crud off of the nooks & crannies of those handles.

**When you do get a Fatboy, DON'T use this method, as it'd probably lift the paint off the numbers too.**

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have used this method on many a Slim and it did not lift the numbers. Now repeated usage of Scrubbing Bubbles will lift the paint off.

6. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, I was a little unsure as to what I really had, but for 30 bucks, this seems like a good haul. I'm in the process of cleaning them now.

7. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I stand corrected. Definitely right about the Scrubbing Bubbles though. I've made that particular mistake.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now if you boil it more than once or twice to get any gunk out then it might. I have just never had to go that far. Usually 1 treatment is all you need to get the gunk out. If you have to go past two boils, then that razor needs disassembly and internal cleaning and maybe spring repair. Fortunately, I have never had to go that far on an Adjustable and only once on a TTO.

I have a Slim that I have and am currently using for blade testing and it gets a quick clean with Scrubbing Bubbles after each blade as a part of the test. After about 40 applications, the paint is beginning to fade.

9. Issac

Issac Member

That's an awfully nice deal at 10 bucks a razor. Let us know how the shave goes and what blade works best for you!

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto. Well done!

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

A 24 hour soak in mineral oil/baby oil will loosen the crud too. If it's good enough to keep your grandparents regular, it's good enough to "clean out" your razor.:D

battle.munky likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

But what if they need a higher grade of octane? [​IMG]

13. CyanideMetal

I haven't had to use it yet, but I've read that flash boiling will help loosen the crud without a risk to the razor. Bring water to boil, use a pair of tongs to lower the razor into the water for 15 seconds, then lift the razor out for 15 seconds. Repeat the procedure up to 5 times.

Seems legit. What do you think?

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This might work on razors that do not have a lot of gunk in them, or on razors that you think might be more fragile in terms of plating.
    I have found that most of the razors that are really gummed up seem to continue to have gunk coming out for most of the time they are in the water.

I guess I have an escalating scale for razors that come in from auction or wherever.

Plastic - A couple of minutes in vinegar then some scrubbing bubbles. Hand polish and then 10 mins of Barbicide / Marvicide.
    Gold - Soak in some warm water with a little Oxyclean and Simple Green to try to bubble out the junk. Hand polish and then 10 mins of Barbicide / Marvicide.
    Nickel / Chrome - Scrubbing Bubbles if necessary Hot Bath Treatment 30 mins with Dawn. Hand polish and then 10 mins of Barbicide / Marvicide.
    Brass / Copper where there is no additional plating - Vinegar for 15 mins then Scrubbing Bubbles. Hand polish and then 10 mins of Barbicide / Marvicide.
    Silver - Baking Soda and Aluminum Foil then Scrubbing Bubbles. Hand polish and then 10 mins of Barbicide / Marvicide.

Some of this may be overkill but it has worked well for me. The Barbicide / Marvicide has a rust inhibitor and since I clean several at a time this allows good use of the product.

If they are my razors that are clean, a little 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and maybe some Scrubbing Bubbles only if they really have a strong soap film on them, and maybe an occasional drop of Tri-Flow lubricant is all I do to maintain.

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  15. CyanideMetal

Very comprehensive! Thank you.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Congrats on your purchase and also for finding the joys of wet shaving with a DE.....Now, if you haven't already, get a decent badger hair brush, something reasonable like a $10 Tweezerman and a scuttle. You will not believe how much the scuttle adds to the experience! I told the guys at work that I was having face orgasms :D since getting my Robert Becker...http://www.robertsfeatsofclay.com/scuttle004.html I want the large one next!

17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The one on the bottom right of your picture is the one that goes in the red case. See here. You'll notice the knurling pattern on the handle and the lines on the TTO (twist to open) knob are the same.

Both of the flare tip Super Speed razors on the bottom should have a date code. A single letter on one side (Z,A,B,C,D,E, etc.) and a single number (1,2,3 or 4) on the other side, found underneath the head. You can look those up here to determine what year and quarter of that year each was made. Scroll down on that page towards the 1950s. The letter tells you the year it was made and the number tells you the quarter of that year it was made.

The first razor in your pic most likely won't have a date code as most of those style of Super Speed were made before Gillette started using date codes again but it is possible it has a W,X,Y or Z.

Woodekt and macaronus like this.
  18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

His last picture looks like the underside of the 40's style and it has a Y date code.

19. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Double boiler, or use a wire collander/strainer (>$5 from a dollar store), to suspend the razor in boiling water. You have to get over 300* or let it sit for a looooooooong time at the 200* boil to alter the brass. I would not do this with the ball ends, as you would really have to be careful cooling them- then you'll probably end up with H2O inside, since they'd have to slow-cool in the water, anyway.

TTOs, Gems, etc., get a bath in oil to penetrate the gunk, a wash with soap & water, then a boil to float the inner crud out. Works very well.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Beautiful purchases!