Question about Platinum blades?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cpgrad08, Aug 12, 2015.

1. cpgrad08

cpgrad08 Member

Are these really coated with Platinum and if so what is the advantage of it?

2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Platinum "quality" my friend.

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

so should I save my old blades and take them to a jeweler to turn them into a necklace? jk. there are different types of thin coating they put on the blades supposedly (iridium, platinum, Teflon, ceramic, etc.) IMO if you like how the blade performs then then use them. by sticking with one category you are limiting yourself and could be missing out on something great. same thing goes for people that will only use tallow soaps when their are so many great artisans that non-tallow based. Basically there will be good and bad for any category.

4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

:signs011: +1

DaveTheWave81 and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  5. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Hope my Variety pack of 100 different DE blades come, today! I wanna-Shave, it's been 2 days, now! :angry017:

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Any coating is use to increase the smoothness and longevity of the blade edge.

Some people also have skin reactions to chromium, nickel, platinum classes (platinum / rhodium) so having a choice of coatings also allows for choice in use.

For more look at this thread and the links therein.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ild-sharp-or-smooth-a-general-overview.37813/

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I had one tuck of Feathers laying visible. My wife happens to see it and reads "Platinum" on them. She got upset thinking I have been wasting money on blades made out platinum. I had to explain that if they at all have platinum, it is a very thin coating on the edge. I do not remember if Feather actually have platinum or not. Many blade brands use the word platinum to describe the quality.

wwwMarKc0m likes this.
  8. wwwMarKc0m

wwwMarKc0m New Member

@Engblom that really made me smile and chuckled up a bit