Question about Razor Emporium

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Apr 27, 2017.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hello TSD.

I have a question about Razor Emporium. I have searched the threads here, and perhaps have not used the correct terms... but it seems to me that Razor Emporium was once a touchy subject, perhaps even a vendor that members were quite vociferously advised to not use.

Am I wrong? And/or, have past perceved wrongdoings corrected?

I am not trying to stir anything up here, just trying to sort out my memories.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have heard the same in the past, but have had a couple heads replated there a few years ago.

I don't remember the exact details but thought at the time, the price was good, turn around time was acceptable, and they looked great.

Screwtape likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A number of years ago, they used to send out razors to be plated, all they did in house was the pre and post polishing. This resulted in people getting back different razors than they sent in, in a few cases...and since some of those were granddad's razor, etc. There were problems. Also some people's razors were over buffed, removing more detail in the knurling than should have been removed.

They now do the plating in house, and have for several years. I haven't heard of any major issues since, regarding the quality of their work.

Matt does employ several people, so the final results might depend on which particular person worked on your razor.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The only negative thing I have heard of from some years ago, they would plate a batch of razors at the same time and some people said their razors had a part from someone else's razor. But have also seen reviews saying the work was good, but prices have gone up a lot lately.

DaltonGang and Screwtape like this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Everything I have heard since I started looking earlier this year for a place to replate or refinish some razors is that there were some QC issues with Razor Emporium 5+ years ago, but they have been fully corrected.

From what I have researched, Chris at Razorplate is still ahead of everyone else by a nose, but others are very very good for replating, including Hibco and Razor Emporium. Then, if looking for the Cerakote / Duracote type hard gun finishes for razors, Delta Echo and North Shore Razors ( in Hawaii) do excellent work.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I bought a razor from them once. I got a $20 voucher from the Art of Manliness and bought my first DE razor from Razor Emporium. It was a Gillette Aluminum Tech, made in England. I still have it.

7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

When I started wet shaving there used to be tons of negative posts & reviews about RE losing razors, bad communication, no customer service, long wait times, thin and flaking plating... and they really didn't seem to care about that reputation at the time either. A lot of unknowing people kept sending them razors because they had a slick website.

Around two years ago Matt the guy who owns RE made a big post on a couple of the forums saying that the company was a side project run out his living room but he had decided to turn it around by quitting his day job & moving to a workshop. I haven't heard any complaints since then but I've never used them.

Demidog likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

All of my interactions, purchases and replates from Razor Emporium have been excellent and their customer service has been top notch. If there were issues in their early days they have long since been resolved.

Screwtape likes this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Cool, thanks y'all..

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nothing but excellent customer service and quality workmanship in my dealings with Matt. Highly recommended.

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

All of my dealing with RE have been great.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know several people who have been burned by RE, in the past, and they will always hold a grudge.
    I, myself, have had a couple of razors plated by RE, before they went in-house on their plating, and was very satisfied. This was a few years ago, and I've heard it has just gotten better. The only gripe I've ever had was with their customer service, back then. Matt was great, but one of their women answering questions was rude, condescending, and treated people like they were stupid. That was a few years ago, and that really turned me off, despite the very good work done.

Yes, Matt is great to work with.