Question about soap storage

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by hippiebrian, Jul 2, 2015.

1. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I know that the grating system works for tallow soap to get it into a container (mug, bowl, etc.), but I was wondering if it works for other soaps also. I like to reuse and recycle, and would love to reuse the Proraso tubs for other soaps, but am concerned about melting the soap in the plastic, in case it gets too hot and some of the chemicals in the plastic leech into the soap. I am hoping to just use the grating method for all soaps so I can re-use the tubs. Will this work?

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yep, you can grate any soap.

You can also use a microwave safe container to melt the melt-able soaps. Then pour into the tubs.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To add to that, any soap can be grated. Some can be microwaved, but others can not. So, if you are in doubt, just grate it.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. hippiebrian

Thanks all, I think, at least for the plastic containers, I'lol stick to grating. Nice to know I can reuse my containers. One of the things I like about DE shaving is the low waste involved.

wristwatchb and Sara-s like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You can safely melt "melt & pour" soaps. Just ask the vender if the soap is melt & pour or not. I've done it both ways. For example Van der Hagan is melt & pour but, Williams isn't. When you melt soap in the microwave the safest way IMO is to melt the soap in a microwaveable/glass measuring cup and then pour it into the storage container. Melt the soap in very short bursts like 8 sec or so. You want to make the soap pourable, but not separate the ingredients or evaporate the scent out of it. Grating soap is the safest for the soap and can be used with any soap as far as I know, but melting is much faster and easier.:)

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds grate to me.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

But if you're like me don't use your wife's kitchen grater. :eek: Go visit a local dollar store and buy one just for grating soaps.

178-bplatoon, Sara-s and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A wise choice indeed.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. hippiebrian

:rofl:
    "Honey, I think the cheese is bad!"

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I wouldn't recommend grating soft soaps/croaps/etc. If you can squish the soap with your finger, just press it into the container you want to store it in.

Sara-s likes this.
  11. hippiebrian

Thanks, I'll remember that!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good point. I was just thinking about hard soaps.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Yes always ask the wife for ANYTHING in her kitchen, those rolling pins and wooden spoons hurt :eatdrink013:

hippiebrian likes this.