Question about two Russian blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Nov 2, 2017.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I came across an eBay seller with what look like a great deal on a couple of Russian blades- the Sputnik Super Platinum and the Rubie Super Stainless.

Anybody use either of these? Any impressions?

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. mougrim

mougrim New Member

Rubie I didn't like, there was a lot of scraping with it, Sputnik actually pretty decent. Mild, though.

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Definitely something different than the usual Sputnik and Rubie. Rubies are Platinum, Sputnik are Teflon. Until these showed up anyway. I haven't seen either one before but did find a thread on another forum dating back to 2011 on the Sputnick platinum. The seller is the same one I bought my slow to arrive items from so I contacted him to see if he could shed any light. I'm just curious if they're NOS or brand new. Given the price I'd say NOS that surfaced. Will keep digging.

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Never used either blade. I do prefer Russian blades and have a few in my inventory. Hard to beat the price of many, such as Ladas ($10 for 100 blades) - and its a really excellent sharp/smooth blade.
    Russian Blades.jpg

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well that was fast. According to the seller these were in production late 90's to around 2000. So they're NOS blades which is cool. How many are available out there is anybody's guess, kind of like Sharp Star.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @mougrim! Thanks for sharing & getting your First Post in.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. mougrim

mougrim New Member

Thank you! I usually dwell at B&B :)

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome, shave dweller. :D

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me, Sputniks work fine. Rubie on the other hand are just ok, which I personally wouldn't get.

10. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Used the Sputnik, not a bad shave. Similar to Vokshod.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. John Ruschmeyer

Interesting feedback. Personally, I've never tried a Sputnik blade but I really like the current Rubie Plus Platinum. (I know, that makes me a bit of an oddity.) So, in total perverseness, I decided to go ahead and order the seller's last 100-pack of vintage Rubie Stainless. When they get here around Christmas, I'll be sure to pass a couple of tucks on to the resident enablers. (@NCoxSTL, I'm looking at you.)

I figure, at worst, I'm out $5.00 and we have the basis for some shenanigans.

PickledNorthern and NCoxSTL like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well for myself, there are Russian blades that amazing and some that are meh. For me Rubies fall in the second, but sometime I'd like to try the Sputniks. I hope your purchase works out. :)

13. cchiqueti

cchiqueti New Member

I tried both. Sputnik blades are smooth but not too much sharp. Rubies blades are sharpest, if you are minimal mistake, your face will be cut no chance of defense. So, I recommend Sputnik; in my opinion, nice blades.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando Tapatalk

TCBENNETT55 likes this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

Well, according to USPS, my Rubie Stainless blades left the Trenton, NJ distribution center at 0410 today. That should put them in my hands tonight or tomorrow night.

Enrico likes this.