Question about vintage blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fishcrow, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on them as I'm not paying around 5 bucks a blade but I believe they have Personna74 tungsten plus on them.Now if you saw them for less than $6 for 3 packs ,they would be gone in seconds these are the holy grail for some.

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I found a larger photo of the actual product on some site and this was not the 74's. I am trying the Personna Lab, I think, and they are very good and cheap. $12.00 for 100. Saw Personna Medical Preps at $32.00 for 100.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

And worth every darned penny. You know if the Med. Preps. are sharp enough to lance a swollen, week old, festering, puss bulging boil on an old man's rump then they're good enough to shave with.:scared011:

Conrad1959 likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Before or After? :happy097::rofl::happy102:

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.

Attached Files:

Conrad1959 likes this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Some nice blades there Martin, and yes the Gillette injectors look familiar. Those are really, really good injector blades, every bit as good as the Schicks. I'm still envious of that amount! Here's some of my stash.

Full dispenser of Schick Plus Platinums that came with a cased E type.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25 Schick Plus Platinum DE's that were in a box full of stuff I found at a flea market.
    [​IMG]

$1.50 at an antique store.
    [​IMG]

$1 at an atique store.
    [​IMG]

$3 for a cased SS and a full dispenser of P74's at a flea market.
    [​IMG]

Conrad1959, fishcrow and macaronus like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

132674302118.gif

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I wept a bit when I saw this. 'tis a beautiful sight.

Conrad1959 and fishcrow like this.
  9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I did too when I found them.

10. supe

supe Active Member

Thanks so much for putting that picture in my mind!:shocked003:

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  11. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. The Super Blue I used was from 1966 and has been in an opened dispenser for at least 9 years (that's how long I've had them). I am finished with those. I have a large supply of sealed 1972 Super Blues - 17 cards containing 15 blades each. I hope they will work better.

View attachment 25159

fishcrow and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I love vintage blades. After hundreds of great shaves with the likes of Light Brigades, 74s, Spoilers, and Plus Platinums I was somehow still dissatisfied. Maybe they were too good. Maybe I wanted to feel the shave more. Maybe it was a desire to go further back in time. At any rate I found myself experimenting more and more with vintage carbons and eventually I arrived at a deep appreciation for the old things. My blade rotation now pretty much looks like this:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

gorgo2, fishcrow and HoosierTrooper like this.
  13. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

As mentioned before in other threads, it would be easy to get totally crazy and spend a fortune on this hobby! I love it! The blade collection is awesome. I am going to have to keep my eye open for blades when I'm out and about. I'm also going to have to open another paypal account my wife doesn't know about as this stuff is contagious!

14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Really nice blade collections everyone. Thanks for all the great posts.

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That name rings a complete other bell in my mind! Are these "the best there is" as well? Guess it is at least best not to make any mistakes... S having with a rubber may not post such a great problem, but the other way round... :shocked003:

tomnat and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Between you and Dusty the old Den is hoppin' today!

macaronus likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Beautiful rotation! I request - nay, sir, DEMAND - your thoughts on each of these blades per their service to your beard!!! :)

macaronus likes this.
  18. Hiya,

First of all.....Rich, I have no idea how you can use those old blades. Heh, if you wanna 'feel the shave more', those carbon ones will do the trick I'd guess. I've only tried a few versions and hated em. I know there's some people who enjoy those things (like yourself), but they're just too rough on the road for me. I'd bet you'd like the currently made Treet 'Black Beauty'.....another one I hated. Hah, I remember Michael (LeisureGuy) loved those bloodsucking vampire blades.

Couple more odds and ends floating around the arsenal:

Injector blades 001.jpg schick plus platinum 001.jpg Wilkinson ebay 001 (Small).jpg Injector blades 001.jpg schick plus platinum 001.jpg

fishcrow likes this.
  19. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

One of these days I'm going to get the courage to try these old blades. I found eighteen 5-packs with the original display box for $7 at a local antique shop. Seemed like a "must-have" at the moment. Have any of you heard of these?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fishcrow likes this.
  20. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have tried a Blade Man razor blade and it was a challenge but I did manage a pretty fair shave with it. I have a few packs and will probably try one again at some point but I doubt they will make the regular rotation.