question about vintage Gillette razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I found a razor at an antique store today. im sorry I don't have a way to put pics on my computer. I was trying to find out more info about it. I looked it up online but the ones I saw were twist to open and this is a 3 piece. it has a gold handle and a gold/silver head. any info would be appreciated.

reg.us pat.off
    y 4

2. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Three piece Y4 would be 4th quarter 1953 Gillette Tech. Can you describe the handle?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

1953 3 piece will be a Tech.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

ok thanks. I got it for $10. not sure if that was a good deal or not. the handle appears to be brass/gold color. tapered where it attaches to head, knurled un the center of handle, and has a open bottom

mikewood and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fair deal to me. I bought one for $3 once but the finish was completely gone down to the brass and the head cap had a small chip in it.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Tech's are real good shavers IMO. Sounds like the handle is from a "Ball End Tech" or an "Old Style" ball end. Either way you did well..:happy088:

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good deal...:happy088::happy088::happy088:

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

thank u everyone for the info. I was curious because I couldn't seem to find any pics of this razor. that would explain it if the handle is from a different razor

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

I figured out how to put pics up

20150428_183440_3.jpeg

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Congratulations!!!

11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

With a little elbow grease it should clean up nicely and provide many more years of shaving pleasure.

Ed

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

what do u recommend I clean it with? baking soda>

13. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I like to use Flitz metal polish but any polish safe for plastics will work. Bar keepers friend works with a light touch. But honestly it's fine with the patina. Hand soap or dawn and A quick splash of isopropyl alcohol is safe though some say that isn't required. .

Albert Hui likes this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I soak in a dish washing solution for 24 hours or so then take a fairly stiff scrub brush to it. I have used baking soda in the past for tough spots. You most likely will not be able to get it completely spot or stain free, but it should clean up nicely.

Hope this helps.

Ed

15. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I have Barkeepers friend, what would you recommend using that on razorwise?

16. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

If you have access to an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, a 30 min wash with 1 part vinegar and 3 part water works great. Follow it up with a 20 min plain water rinse. Comes out shiny and clean. I bought a cheap ultrasound jewelry cleaner for my vape gear, but I'll use it once a month for my razors.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations. A good shaver...

18. SHAVEWIZARD420

thanks. it was pretty clean but there was some corrosion on the threads

19. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Great little razor.

20. natal000

natal000 Active Member

I usually sterilize first using Barbicide for about 10 minutes followed by a rinse in warm water, I then use some Colgate toothpaste on a standard tooth brush and gently brush for a few minutes, This does a nice job of cleaning and polishing without ruining the finish. Stay away from harsh commercial products, they will ruin your razor and may irritate your skin.

Recklesstr likes this.