Question for the Gillette experts...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MikekiM, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I've had three weeks of amazing shaves using a 1964 FatBoy (named George).

I think the shaves are hard to beat and I can see George being at the top of my rotation for a while. One thing holding that back is that I tend to prefer a longer narrower handle. I have a Knack/Twist TTO that BRW rehandled with a long Bull Mastiff Deluxe style handle which would be perfect, but I doubt Bob can do that on an adjustable, and the Twist is little too mild for daily use.

Are there any other Gillette models that provide the same shave performance as the Fatboy, that are adjustable, but that have a longer and/or narrower handle?

As an alternative, since I find the Fatboy at a setting of seven to be just perfect, what would be a non-adjustable, with a longer handle that would be about the same? I know very little about the various models, but know a Superspeed Black or Red would more aggressive than my Twist.. but the handle is kind of anemic.

I am going to reach out to BRW to see if he can conjure up something, but need some help with models and such..

Suggestions??

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You're in luck...The Gillette Slim Adjustable has a longer and narrower handle. The weight is very similar and the adjustments are the same...They are easy to find and almost always cost quite abit less than the Fatboy, because they were made for more years so they are not as hard to find. They are all nickle plated brass, like the Fatboys with the same attention to detail, and built like a tank. From what I understand from your post...The Slim is a vintage Gillette model that provides the same shave performance as the Fatboy, it is an adjustable and has a longer and narrower handle...Sounds like your razor to me...:)

3. MikekiM

That's good news..

Do you know what makes a "Super Slim" different than a "Slim"?

4. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I think he ment this thing.

Attached Files:

5. MikekiM

Frankly, I'm not sure I meant that.. I was checking the date codes on the B&B wiki and saw it mentioned a Slim & a Super Slim..

Super Adjustable versus Super Slim ?? [shrugs) don't know.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

The Slim came after the Fat-Boy and was made for longer-mostly in the 60's. It does have a longer handle than the Fat-Boy but is otherwise almost identical. In 1969 they came out with the Super-Adjustable with the Black Handle. The Super Adjustable has an even longer handle than the Slim. I have all 3 of them and find the shaves are almost exactly the same, just different grips and lengths of handle.

If you're interested in exploring other razors with long handles there are some great ones. If you don't need vintage the Merkur 38c (Barber Pole) or Merkur Progress with XL handle are both great shavers. The Merkur is not adjustable but the Progress is. The Progress is much more agressive than the George. George at 7 is about the Progress at 1.5 or 2.0-it goes to 5.0.

Hope that helps.

7. MikekiM

Danny, that helps a lot. Thanks..

I had thoughts that I would search for an H4 Slim.. not too hard to find, but the Super Adjustable is nice as well. The black handle is sweet, and these seem to be pretty common.

A birth year Slim would be nice, but I don't have to have that.

I just sold a Mergress XL because it wasn't getting any love and I do want to stay with an adjustable..

So, it's the Slim and/or the Super Adjustable.. Nice!

Any guidance on what a late model Super Adjustable should fetch on the auction sites?

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you're wanting a longer handled adjustable, it won't be the Slim. The Slim's handle is not much more longer than a Fat Boy, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch longer. The only long handle adjustable made by Gillette is the Super Adjustable, aka Black Beauty, aka 195 (yes, the Fat Boys were also called a 195).

And shameless promotion, I have a Super Adjustable for sale in the Classifieds section. :D

9. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

The Knack was called in England "Slim Twist". The later one with the thinner handle was called "Super Slim Twist":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. IAmTheJody

Achim to the rescue! I wish I could find the Knack, Slim Twist and Super Slim Twist with T-4 date code. They are the only T-4 date code razors missing from my birth year and quarter collection.

11. Hi there,

In my experience, there's nothing that shaves quite like a fatboy (except for the gold plated Executive version). Other than that one variation, no other razor is gonna perform the same.

It's the rounded head more than anything else, combined with the extra weight in that area, that makes the fatboy act like it does.

Heh, it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the deal.....at least from what I've found personally.

Martin

12. MikekiM

I'll take in all the feedback I can get.. thanks.

Trying to determine something on the Super Adjustables. The early razors have the same head as the Fatboy and Slim.. silver silo doors and silver underside of the bed. The late model razors have a black underside to the bed, which looks nice, but I am worried.. I can't determine if it is plastic or metal. Plastic in the bed of an adjustable? Doesn't sound right..

13. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Good Evening,
    You might want to check George's date code. I believe they stop making Fatboys in '61. I'll just echo Martin's sentiments, I've got Slims, Supers, and Fatboys and while they may look similar they don't shave the same IME. Good Luck with your search. Hopefully Bob can help you out, he does great work.

14. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

And then there's the Toggle. (Que dramatic music) :D

Attached Files:

15. Nice pic,

Yeah, the Toggle is about the closest to a fatboy shave, mainly because it has a similar looking round head design. There's a few differences between the two from what I've found as far as performance goes. To show you how different they are, my go to razor is a fatboy or Executive, while I rarely ever use the Toggle.

The Toggle's head weighs more because of that plate, plus the handle's longer which changes the balance. Doesn't have the same feel in my hand as a fatboy. Heh, other than that, it's about the same.

Martin

16. IAmTheJody

Yes, the newer/later Super Adjustable razors have the plastic black bottom. So yes, it is plastic.

17. MikekiM

Thanks to those of you coming in late on this.

I have spied a few Super Adjustable's but as yet have not made a decision. I did pass on one that had the plastic underside.. just doesn't seem right to me.

Regarding my Fat Boy... You are correct.. It's a G2.. '64 was stuck in my head from my Superspeed.

[​IMG]

My question to those of you who clearly know more about the models than I do (my experience includes George, a Superspeed, and a Twist with the BRW conversion)..

While I REALLY appreciate all the details shared here, is there any way you can give me more of an idea of what would be close to the Fatboy rather than what wouldn't? Would that be the Toggle? I don't expect any razor to be a mirror experience of the Fatboy, but I'd like to get close with the addition of the longer narrower handle. Understanding you can't find an exact match in shave experience, what would be closest, sport the longer Twist/Knack/Super Adjustable handle, similar tank-like build and not cost my right leg? I don't know a lot about all the various razors but I do believe the Toggle is way out of my budget...

Thanks again, for sharing all your knowledge!!

18. IAmTheJody

Again, there's really no "close to Fatboy" in terms of handle size. Since you're specific in wanting an adjustable, you can either use a Fat Boy or if you want a long handle, the only option is the Super Adjustable. For weight, I'd be sure to get an older Super Adjustable, the one that doesn't have the plastic bottom. Even a Toggle is about the same handle length as a Fat Boy if you don't count the toggle. It would be nice if some of the custom handle makers like iKon, Cooncat Bob and Eric (he does the customized Merkur Progress "Mergress" razors) would venture into adjustables. And speaking of Eric, that just may be another option for you. Get one of his customized Merkur Progress razors, aka the Mergress. The long handled version is called the Mergress XL. It's adjustable. It's $104.95 shipped when they have them in stock but the way Fat Boy prices have been going, $104.95 is a bargain. As he customizes them in batches, they aren't in stock all that often and when they do have a new batch, they don't last long. Another option he offers though is to buy a Merkur Progress from any vendor, then send it to him and he will customize it for $30 plus return shipping.. which will be about the same cost if you factor in your cost in shipping it to him. What he does is remove the little plastic adjustment knob and replaces it with a new longer metal knob. He also fixes and calibrates the adjustment, something that Merkur refuses to acknowledge is a problem and fix themselves. It's not a problem with the shave itself but where mine set on "2" won't be the same angle/aggressiveness as yours set on "2".

19. MikekiM

Jody, thanks.. I ended up with an S1 Super Adjustable long handle.

S1 is the earlier metal construction. This specimen is in perfect condition.

My quest was for a "close to Fatboy" in shave but with a longer handle.. I'll let you know if what I have quenches my thirst. The handle is only slightly longer and the balance of the Super Adjustable is focused at the head where the Fatboy is more evenly balanced and detectably heavier.

I'll shave with the Black Beauty today and will report back..

I agree with you on the custom artisan's venturing into adjustables..it would certainly have my attention.

I had a Mergress XL and just sold it.. size and weight were fine, shave was not what I loved..