question on a trouble spot

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Double Edge Dougy, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Hey maybe some of the more experienced shavers might have a tip for me. Since ive recently started de shaving ive had some good luck. Getting some good shaves in but i have a spot thats tough for me to get bbs. Its on my neck right under each sides of the jaw line...pretty thin spot i can feel right under the bone. Also when i do my atg pass i dont seem to be shaving much...any tips to help with blade angle there

2. Double Edge Dougy

I should clarify that last comment about atg...that only gies for my neck where i cant seem to get good angle...every where else is good

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I'm not sure if you're asking about the same place as Jasman, but I think the responses/tips will help for many trouble areas:
    Help with hinges of the jaw

Jasman and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Time,Technique,Practice and Patience really will eventually help you over come this small obstacle. Those four together really do solve alot of shaving problems. Although sometimes you just have to accept a less than perfect shave on certain spots. For me it's more about an irritation free shave than BBS.
    That said heres something I do, but you definately risk razor burn if you do it wrong or too much!! "GENTLY"make your last/touchup pass using only water no soap...I'm not sure why,but it seems to help get those "hard to shave smooth" areas for me.. Just make sure you don't overdo it or you will pay.....:)

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's a tough spot for me too. I stretch the skin to flatten it out on my 3rd pass (South-North). Then I usually have to make a touch-up pass from chin to ear along my jawline to get everything there. You'll probably have to do something a bit different but a little skin stretching is worth trying if you're not doing that already.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Skin-stretching can help resolve a number of particular trouble spots shavers can encounter on their faces and necks. For my main 'trouble' spot— the region surrounding the laryngeal prominence (adam's apple)— skin stretching allows for a clean, close shave with little or no irritation. When shaving the area below the joint hinge ( the temporomadibular joint), south of the sideburns and under the jaw line, pulling upwards and/or 'back' on the ear stretches the skin and allows for easier, cleaner access.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My trouble spots are right along the jaw line. Sometime I get 'em, sometimes I don't. As I said in the thread ohpaos linked to, I stopped trying to force BBS - I only wound up with razor burn. These days if I get BBS, icing on the cake. And the cake? That's shaving the "old fashioned" way! ;)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sage advice! I always try to look at the upside of DE wet-shaving (enjoying the process as well as the results) and not always focus on those less-than-perfect areas. So what if I've a small rough patch on my neck at times? The overall shave experience is great, my face looks and feels fantastic, and I look forward to doing it all again tomorrow! AND, whatever rough patches are present, they seem to be getting smaller as my technique continues to improve.

ohpaos and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. Lucky Gagin

Lucky Gagin Member

Nice to see I'm not alone with my jawline problem area. I seem to have far more problems on the left side, and only rarely on the right. I usually throw cold water if I get a bleeder, and by the time I'm finished with the rest, it looks okay.

10. Double Edge Dougy

Dare you right handed? I am an i too find it easier to shave that side

11. Lucky Gagin

Lucky Gagin Member

Yes. Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. I have to be more careful on the left side in general since I switched to DE. Holding razor in my right hand means less view in the mirror.

12. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I also have jaw line issues. I am also right handed. Strangely enough the right side jawline seems to be more of an issues for me.

13. Lucky Gagin

Lucky Gagin Member

I noticed another problem area on this evening's shave--directly under each nostril, and also to the left of the left nostril and right of the right. A DE just doesn't seem to fit well. Any suggestions? Thanks!

14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I hit those areas going sideways. On my XTG pass I get up under my nose pretty good, then hit it going sideways the other direction on my 3rd pass.