Question on Dateing a Gillette Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Purvis, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

I just bought an old Gillette Safety Razor from an antique store and see that there is a Pat Nov15 :04 on the stem.

According to this link:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm#1930

It should be a 1904 razor however I don't understand where to find the serial number. I do see a number 2 on the underside of the top flat piece once I disassemble the razor. There are no numbers on the bottom of the razor head however.

Can anyone chime in on if I have the second razor made in 1904 or not?

Thanks,

Sean

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

That #2 on the underside of the safety bar portion of the razor should be on one side of the razor or the other. If the razor is completely assembled you should see the 2 on the right side of the razor and to the left side of the handle you should see a letter. Thats the date code. It should read something between A-Z and a #.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Pictures would be helpful. :)

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

If it is that old it should be a 4 piece. The head should be 2 pieces and the shaft the 3rd and the 4th should the the internal cylinder. The cylinder usually has a serial number on it. Some have the internal shaft some don't.

+1 on the pics.

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I don't think I would care to date a razor. People might talk.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

5 posts and a quick left hand turn, look out, its too deep of a turn and he goes sideways.:D

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Yet again, the post's title invites a trip south :eek:

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

How far, we are talking about dating. :rolleyes:

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Umm, careful, my friend.

10. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Doh!

11. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

Right!

here are some.

Attached Files:

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I work in the legal field and the trick is to know where the line is and walk right up to it, stare at it, and kick dirt on it.

Same here, know where the line is and walk right up to it. Granted that was really close to tripping over the line, and for that apologies to all put off by the post.:cool:

Oh yeah, it looks like a mid 1900's. I think I saw a ball at the end of that handle. I do not think it is older than 1920 though. 1910 -1920, any other thoughts?

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That's definitely a ball tip Old Type. Most likely 1920's, although there were military issue ball tips in the late teens during WWI.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Inside the head on the piece with the comb, there is no numbers? That is definately an Old, but it could be from a huge range of dates. If it has numbers on it that would help greatly.

15. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have never seen a ball end that did not have a number on it anywhere.

I could be a ball handle with an older head?

16. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

This picture is credited to Achim (Mr_razor). Note the lack of any serial number on the base plate. This is a '20's Old Type. Many Old Types of this era did not have serial numbers as referenced by this well known site:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

[​IMG]

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Does she talk back?

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Old types after August 1921 were not usually serial numbered and were often created using leftover parts after the cutoff date. These were created due to competion and the need for a less expensive razor. About this time Gillette switched from fancy packaging to many cardboard types. Still a fine razor. I would say that the date would fall into the early 1920's as others have stated. :D

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Now here's a thread that you guys should like. I can't figure if they ever got the date or not.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm a cheap date (and I don't care if people talk).

waddowedonowmo likes this.