Question on face lathering soaps

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Mr. Shaverman, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's why I prefer it too. I'm going to see this out as a challenge to see if I get what I like, and if not, take it back to the bowl.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If you like a little air mixed in to make the lather fluffier, you can push the brush into your face more to splay the bristles and scrub a bit. That'll mix some air in. I like my lather a little fluffy too (not really foamy though) and this is one reason I like a brush with some splay to it. Once I've scrubbed the lather into my face, I'll usually go to a paintbrushing motion and put some more water on the brush until the lather has a nice moist sheen to it.

markjnewcomb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find myself face-lathering much more than I used to ('twas a die-hard bowl latherer for the longest time) as I enjoy the process of lather development on the face vs in a bowl. The 'volume' may not be as great as in a bowl, but on the plus side, there is much less waste as I had with bowl lathering. Much of the success of getting a good lather is dependent upon the type or quality of soap being used. Some soaps freely give up good lather; others require more work. For those difficult soap puck, I'll add a tsp of veg. glycerin, which helps produce a slick, dense lather on the face.

Mr. Shaverman and Troy M like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I almost exclusively face-lather anymore. I always have plenty of lather left over, but as Kevin said, there is much less waste than with bowl lathering. Less time, more fulfilling.

BigMark, Mr. Shaverman and Troy M like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Your opinion. I don't like to face lather, ergo, face lather is not more fulfilling for me.

I just wanted to use "ergo" in a sentence. :p

Bristle Me and Troy M like this.
  6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I agree. I think the reason for a more "fluffy" lather when using a bowl is that more air is introduced into the process. With face lathering, the brush stays on the face almost the entire time so there's not much change of getting too much air.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Two can play at that game:
    Exclaimed a distraught child with a sagging balloon, "Where'd all my ergo?" :innocent

J_Man likes this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

When I look in the mirror I think "where'd all my ergo?"

J_Man, HolyRollah and Bristle Me like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

ergo the neighbor folks, looks like they got them a new car.

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Oh, Lord.........

11. Clubman4Life

Clubman4Life Active Member

Hey, you can just wash your face with shave soap? I'm a newbie and that has actually crossed my mind...

Bristle Me likes this.
  12. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Yes, many people wash their face with shave soap by doing a face lather with a brush for the exfoliating effect.

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. Clubman4Life

Clubman4Life Active Member

Can I wash my entire face? Nose, forehead, etc?

Bristle Me likes this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I would say load your brush longer and use more soap.

You can can try different things like more time, more soap, less time, more water, you get the picture.

15. Mr. Shaverman

That's how you should wash your face, yes. Soap is soap. You should wash your face seperately from your shave.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  16. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Remember to add some water while face-lathering by dipping the tips of the brush in water. That usually does the trick for me.

17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I generally use a super-saturated brush that doesn't need to have water added, and just work the lather on my face until it's sufficiently creamy in appearance, without a lot of air bubbles. This is a variation of what Badger & Blade veterans may know as 'the Marco Method.'

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

I think this is what the main issue was. I'll find out tonight.

19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I see said the wise man to his deaf wife, Joan, who really wasn't listening, anyway. It all comes back to me now he commented as he spit into the wind.

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Yeah! It is really good - try it. Just remember to rinse well afterwards.