Questions about some brands of soap/AS that I don't see mentioned on here

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by capsfanx, Aug 16, 2017.

1. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

So, just curious.....I never see any mention of the soaps/AS listed below. Was mainly curious as to why. I am only a few months into this. Have looked into a few of these but don't see much mention here and was curious if they just aren't worth looking into , not worth the money, etc.

Dr Jon's
    Uncle John's
    Local Gent
    The Holy Black
    PAA and their Crown King
    Lather Brothers
    Jeeves of Hudson St
    K Shave Works

I have Dr Jon's Flowers In The Dark and I really like it. I got Arctic Hydra for my son and we really like it, don't know anything about their other scents though. I have one soap made by K Shave Works and it is Tampa Shave Co Mango Lime, and it smells and performs awesome!

Not tried any of the other brands. They seem to have some really cool scents though. Does the performance suck on the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAla and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have 90% of the ones you've mentioned. Try checking out our shave of the day thread.
    Edit: they all work great.

lightcs1776 and capsfanx like this.
  3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I’ve seen both Dr and uncle Jo(h)n mentioned but I haven’t used them. I personally love PAA especially the Crown King formulations. I honestly haven’t heard of the other ones I think there’s just so much choice out there these days.

Paul Turner and capsfanx like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Jeeves of Hudson St. is fantastic soap. Just fantastic.

brit, dustmite, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

F
    Hi, fellow Capsfan! I currently have Local Gent's Fields&Streams, which I have come to like a lot. And later in the year in what I call my "Mad Rush To NB18", I plan to get a soap and AS from PAA(not quite sure just yet, but Home On The Range is the leading contender for now).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    capsfanx likes this.
  6. capsfanx

Also, lol, I keep seeing NB18.....what does that mean?

7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

No buy 2018.

capsfanx likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

It means that from Jan 1-December 31 of next year I plan(hope anyway!)to avoid ordering any shave-related gear by use of the internet. It's a will-power sort of thing. I have plenty of use left for some soaps I ordered a year or so ago(mainly for fall/winter use), so that's a good sign, but as I say, I'd like to increase my arsenal some before the ball drops in Times Square.

theFAT98 likes this.
  9. capsfanx

From what I have seen in my short time here.......Reading that is probably the funniest thing I have seen on here from many people! Lol. Good luck on trying to hold out though! It's everything I can do to hold back from spending a ton of money right now. In 3 months I have 5 Soaps and AS. 1 brush, 1 34C and 2 straights. Want to try so much more too!

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I used Jeeves Tobacco Bay Leaf aftershave yesterday. Great stuff.

capsfanx and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

It is indeed a challenging task, but I'm going for it. Then on January 1, 2019, watch me make up for it!!

capsfanx likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

What do you have from PAA, Kerry?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

That was in the last raffle, wasn't it?

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

:signs011: I have an older scent, Apothecary. Ok scent, absolutely top tier lather.

PickledNorthern and Paul Turner like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes, that's where I got my jar. I will definitely buy more. Very much a top tier soap. Veteran owned too.

Paul Turner and jtspartan like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh gosh, dirt, I'll need to look. But a number of them. Chocolate bourbon.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have tried them all. I can tell you that we are truly in a wet-shaving Renaissance. We are in the new golden age for our hobby. The amount of amazingly good soaps out there is ridiculous. There are tons.

Below are my opinions:

Dr Jon's - excellent. This should be in many peoples top soaps. I wish there were a few more scent options, however. Dr. Jon's classic and Krampus soaps are the best I'm.
    Uncle John's - high quality but simple scents. The Holly berry has been the best scent I have tried
    Local Gent - pretty good quality. Post shave lacks a bit. This is probably the worst of this grouping...which says a lot because it is still good.
    The Holy Black - great lather. They need more scent options as well
    PAA and their Crown King - paa is regarded as some of the best soaps available, but their history has been sketchy and they are dismissed by many as a result. Crown king is their secondary tier...also very good, but not as good as paa. They have tons and tons of options!
    Lather Brothers - I have only tried one. The slickness wasn't the best.
    Jeeves of Hudson St - high quality new comer. Interesting scents to boot.
    K Shave Works - very underrated. Great unique scents with high quality. Several collaborations with other companies. If anyone hasn't tried them...you should.

18. Paul Turner

I wish they could bundle up Mal Pais and also Home On The Range(although I think for the latter, I can get the soap and AS for a bundle-like price).

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This is an interesting thread. TSD is the only forum of which I am a member, but I post in a couple of Facebook shaving groups as well. Last January, when several of us used Route 66 all month, I got very interesting comments. "Never heard of that soap"...."How is it"...."Where do you get it", etc. They didn't know the produce at all. Route 66 picked up some customers as some of those guys tried it out. But Route 66 is used here a good bit. So it's interesting to see this all across different platforms.

20. brit

brit in a box

dr johns gold label and jeeves of hudson street conservatory are excellent soaps for me.haven t tried the others noted.

Straight razor dandy likes this.