Questions from a Noobie

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike Powell, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I've been looking around at razors. I would like to have a few different ones to try and see what I like best. As I have said a couple of times in different thread, I am currently using a 3 piece that I made the handle for.

Where do you guys get your razors, Where is the best place to get razors?

And what do you look for when purchasing a vintage or used razor off say ebay or some place like that? Are there things I should be looking out for.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Try local first...antique shops, antique malls, resale shops, out of the way places off the beaten path can really surprise you.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ask us question after question, about what razors are recommended, as well as soaps and brushes, oh.aftershaves too. There are many many experienced shavers here, who have tried just about everything.
    First, let us know what you use now, what if any skin problems you have. What beard type and skin type you have.
    We can start helping from there.

5. Mike Powell

I use a 3 piece generic head razor I purchased to make the handle for, that's the best I can explain that. I have a goat tee usually, kept fairly short, and I have semi sensitive skin. I know I didnt answer the way you would want, but thats the best I got right now.

Oh and VdH soap and boar brush.
    My razor looks similar to this one.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The antique shops are the best way.
    Past that variety is what drove me. I wanted one of each. My advice to you is follow the shave of the day thread. See what you like, then search for that model. There is a want to buy section. Maybe one your looking for didnt get much love in another members den. Ive bought several, traded some.
    I do peruse the ebay, search for models i lust after.
    Once i find, i check for condition, then price. If you cant afford it. Just wait a while. Another will pop up. Acquisitions disorders are rampant here, we all have the bug, so never think you're in the boat alone.

7. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Garage sales, eBay and Etsy are good sources as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would second the antique stores and estate sales. Gillettes by far are the most popular vintage razors. There are others and even rarer makes, but gillettes are the most common.

Here are some that you may come across image.jpeg
    The one on the left is a Gillette slim adjustable. You can select 9 settings and it's like having 9 razors in one. If you can find one under $20 it's a good deal.
    Top one is a gem single edge open comb. I've seen a few of these and it's a little different than double edge. If you can find them under $10 it's a good deal.
    Third one is an injector. You can find these galore and id say under $10 is a good deal.

image.jpeg
    This one is a Gillette super speed. You can find these for about $10. They are mild and good razors.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I live in a small town that doesn't have a decent men's shaving supply store. I've only purchased one from ebay. The stress of checking to see if I was outbid isn't something I enjoyed.
    Almost all my vintage razors, mostly straights and DEs, from little antique stores, thrift shops, & flea markets. I leave my name and phone number if the dealer keeps a notebook of WTB.
    Besides making a trade or two to members here, I've also been fortunate to receive a couple nice PIFs.

Carbide Mike and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

You can find amazing deals at garage sales if you have the time and eye to find the razors.
    Flea markets,
    estate sales,
    antique stores,
    ebay,
    BST (buy,sell,trade) if you know exactly what you are looking for this may be the best place plus you can check multiple forums.but there is nothing like finding gear out in the wild.

Carbide Mike, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes Sir!
    To hold a dirty crusty DE with the blade of the last owner still in it.
    Gently twist the knob and see the doors open...
    Purchase it for five bucks knowing it sells on ebay for $XX.99!
    The thrill of the hunt, stalking prey in the wild... :happy088:

12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Exactly!!

Carbide Mike, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  13. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I've used eBay for most of my razors.

I've also bought some new razors from Amazon and Italian barber.

Carbide Mike, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. camardicus

camardicus New Member

Maggard, Fendrihan, MensEssentials, and West Coast Shaving are pretty good webstores. Tip: Look for promo codes!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I also recommend the local antique shops. I found a Gillette fat boy and a Gillette red tip at local antique stores.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

twhite and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Once you narrow down what you are looking for, I would suggest placing a Want to Buy in the appropriate spot here on TSD.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

As you sample these DE and SE finds be sure to use each long enough to let your skin and technique adjust. Many new users become discouraged after a couple of shaves when they encounter irritation or leave little islands of whisker behind, take your time and give it time. Change only one thing at a time when you correct for an issue.

As for the availability of razors, it's not as easy as it was even a couple of years ago, especially if you live in or near a major city due to the rise in popularity so I'd suggest dealing with Maggard, Italian Barbers, Amazon or a few others you'll see listed here to sample a few inexpensive razor styles. You will still be within a couple of dollars of what you might find at an antique shop and you'll be starting clean, no restoration required.

18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Nice looking handle !

19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I bought my Fatboy off of Ebay and its pretty easy to find whatever vintage razor you want on there, usually for a pretty fair price. If you want a new DE razor, Amazon is a great place. Ive got a Merkur long handle and a Merkur open comb that I bought off Amazon and they were dirty cheap (around $20).

RyX likes this.
  20. Mike Powell

I picked up a Gillette Super Speed this weekend. I paid a little more than I wanted but it was supporting small business

Badgerstate, macaronus and RyX like this.