Quickest Solution For Razor Burn?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by mantic, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Hi All-- I'm starting to do some research for a Sharpologist article about which aftershave balms work best to get rid of razor burn the quickest. I'm specifically thinking of burn (redness, irritation) vs. shave bumps or ingrowns. Please suggest some products I can purchase to test. Also interested in DIY solutions you've tried that worked well (others have suggested tea bags, aloe vera, sunburn creams, etc.).

(Yes, I know that the best way to fix razor burn is to avoid it in the first place with proper prep/lather/technique :D )

PLANofMAN, Spyder, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I hope you don't plan on purposely causing yourself razor burn to test the products.

Anyhow, here's one on the cheap (but effective) side.
    Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel available at WalMart for about 4 bucks (12oz).

It's meant for sunburn but works for razor burn.

For specific aloe vera a/s balms, a couple come to mind; Muhle and Edwin Jagger

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Spyder likes this.
  3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Mantic, what an honour, once more! Technically, the fastest pharmacological solution against irritation, should be cortisone based creams. However, for a more "natural" approach, i would also try something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V3MFUY/?tag=thshde-20

^ It is not a a drug technically, but it is in deed very good, natural product against the "diaper dermatitis" of the babies, with very good soothing effect. It might work for shaving irritation too, i just haven't tried it. So, get yourself some post-shave irritation and try it out! :D It also doesn't have some heavy annoying smell or anything, it's quite discreet. If i get irritation i will try it myself. I have it at home.

Spyder likes this.
  4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

For redness and irritation I think drug store witch hazel is the best.

Spyder likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've had good results with Stirling's Witch Hazel and Aloe.

6. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Actually I am. :( It's the only way for me to know for sure.

twhite, Spyder, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have always thought highly of Nivea Sensitive balm in the white bottle. I used it religiously for years but am now using just witch hazel followed by an aftershave splash. I still really enjoy Nivea and use it if my face feels dry but don't use it daily any longer. It has always calmed down redness for me.

Spyder likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I first got started, I would get razor burn. I used the blue aloe gel with lidocane in it, the Publix brand.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I highly recommend unrefined shea butter.

Spyder and Boojum1 like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Wow, talk about taking one for the team.

I suppose it's all right as long as no animals get hurt.

Spyder, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was trying to think of a way to politely say that. Good play, Sir!

I've used two products that calm my irritation. Happens when trying new hardware or letting Technique lapse.
    Available from Clinique For Men - Post Shave Soother. Light on scent, effective, a bit pricey at around $20 for 2.5 ounces.
    The better deal for me, Cremo Moisturizer. Less than half the price for a 4.4 ounce bottle and I found it more pleasantly scented. Soothing on irritated skin and didn't feel greasy.

Spyder likes this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

That may prove harder than you think you replicate.
    Sunburn may be easier to obtain. images-14.jpg
    Come to Florida, spend a week, call it, research.

I second Stirling wh&aloe, and blue aloe with lidocaine (ocean potion), past that time heals all wounds.

Shaver X, MR41 and Spyder like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I second the Witch Hazel option. I use Thayer's Unscented after every shave. :happy088::happy088:

wchnu and Spyder like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I use an alum block, followed by an application of Krampert's Finest bay rum. The alum block burns like the fires of hell, but most of the burning goes away very soon after I rinse my face afterward. Krampert's Finest has a remarkable way of moderating razor burn, and takes care of any irritation that is left. Pretty remarkable for an alcohol-based aftershave, but it does have some other ingredients. In fact, the Krampert's Finest might do the job all on its own.

Spyder likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When I first started this journey I, through crappy technique, used to get redness on my neck. So I tried Dominello Vitali Calming Post Shave Moisturizer. Worked very nice. Now with much better technique, no redness, but I still use the Dominello Vitali 'cause it makes my skin feel great. Unless I use Cella A/S. That works great too.

Spyder likes this.
  16. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

My ex-gf swore by 1% hydrocortisone cream with aloe. While it helped me I feel like Thayers lemon witch hazel, followed by Clubman vanilla, then Stirling Soap Co. aftershave balm has worked best for me. The Stirling really seems to calm things down. Better technique hasn't hurt either!

Spyder likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I discovered Kukui nut oil in Hawaii years ago. It's a wonderful remedy for sunburn and other skin ailments, I would wager it would be great for razor burn as well. It also makes a great pre shave oil.

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Fortunately I seem to have very tough skin on my face. But when I find that I do need skin relief. I go for the Coconut oil. It works wonders for my underarms. That is very sensitive to any deodorants. I would assume the coconut oil might work great for razor burn also. It is very reasonable on price too.

Tom

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The last razor burn that I had, that a Voskhod gave me, the Nivea sensitive cooling balm worked very well.

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The quickest cure for razor burn:

1. Drink five shots of vodka quickly. Splash a sixth shot on your face.

2. If you get a burning sensation on your face, repeat step one.

Doesn't really help with the redness, but it's a surefire cure for the irritation. :p

Edit: I've heard that adding crushed aspirin to witch hazel is an excellent razor burn reducer. I've only needed to use regular witch hazel or aftershaves with a high witch hazel content (Barrister & Mann or Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic).

Last edited: May 1, 2017