R41 2011 - To Grande or Not

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SharpSpine, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

As most probably know here, I prefer my SEs when I shave to me DEs. However, I'm succumbing to the R41's temptation and will be purchasing one with some leftover Christmas monies. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should upsize or not. My favorite SEs are the longer handled micromatics. The shorter handles are the main reason that I don't care for the 1912s & 1924s. I've seen a picture of the 2 next to each other and the extra length didn't seem too much, so I'm mainly curious about the extra weight.

So can the Denizens weigh in for me?

As always, your time, thoughts, and experiences are much appreciated!

alpla444 likes this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Hey, I'm just impressed that you are going to have left over Christmas money. :)

sol92258 likes this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Tuco99 is getting grande maybe when he post's some pics he may be able to put it along side another razor for you to get a better idea, that said I have standard r-41 but im used to the ej89L so handle size aint too much of an issue for me and it works fine, what else could you buy with the difference in price?

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

R41 GRANDE
    measurements: L 4.21 inches - diameter of handle 14 mm
    weight: 80 g

R41
    measurements: L 3.74 inches - diameter of handle? Don't know but it's smaller than the GRANDE
    weight: 66 g

Bird Lives likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm a bad one to ask as I prefer the smaller shorter handles...Like I prefer the '40's SS handle to the Slim adjustable....I guess no accounting for taste....lol...I do think a little more weight in the right places can make for a better shave, but thats more about balance maybe....From looking at Jody's measurments there is a significant differance there....Since the balance is suppose to be so good, I would opt. for the regular I believe...

6. SharpSpine

Yeah, I'm mainly looking to see what people think that have tried 2 razors that were basically the same except for the weight. Like a Merkur barber pole vs a regular handle. Or a sledgehammer vs the regular slant. Things like that. The closest comparison I have is a Gem Featherweight to a Heavy Flat Top. They share the same head, but the HFT is... heavier. I get a much better shave from the HFT than the featherweight, but I'm sure the featherweight weighs much less than the regular R41 so there very well could be some diminishing returns as to going heavier and heavier.

7. SharpSpine

Borrowed this from another site...

From Christian at Muhle: Standard handle (with R41 head) vs Grande handle (with R89 head)
    MUHLE_STD_VS_GRANDE.jpg

8. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I like a variety of razor weights and lengths myself, just as I appreciate a variety of soaps. Most razors seem to have a unique sweet spot regarding grip, pressure, etc. That is why I tend to use a razor for over a week at a time. Once I get acclimated to the golden touch of that razor, I stick with it for 2 or so blade change-outs. Since doing that my weepers have all but disappeared. Having said that, I would lean towards the new razor that is "more different" than what you got, but that is just me.

9. SharpSpine

Yeah, I think that's why I'm leaning towards the Grande. Now I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $$.

10. IAmTheJody

SharpSpine likes this.
  11. SharpSpine

Yeah, I'm looking at Connaught! I found a $13 difference.
    Standard = $36.44
    Grande = $49.63
    Any discount codes that anyone knows about, even though I don't see a place to input one?

I think the 8.50 difference is in pounds.

12. Bird Lives

Either way thats closer than I thought.....hmmmm....You know if you just grab the one you think you would like the best, you know you can always get your money back here on the marketplace...As popular as these babies are....;)

Oppps...I think my enabler face is showing...lol

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. SharpSpine

Enabler... but I like being enabled! :happy093:

Bird Lives likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have no problem with using the regular R-41 but I gotta say Brian that weight would be my one negative criticism. Get the Grande!

SharpSpine likes this.
  15. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Yeah!! get the grande!!

I don't even know what I'm talking about. I don't have one, nor have I even tried one. It just seems like that's the way most people are leaning. :D

Here's an idea, Brian, Do you have another razor that has a removable handle? If so, then get the grande and if it is just too much weight or doesn't feel right, you can swap handles and then offload your grande handle here. I'd say it better to have it and not like it and then sell it than to not have it and wonder if you should have bought it and then end up buying it anyway for more than you could have in the first place. (I think I read somewhere that the cost of just the handle was pretty costly - especially with another shipping payment in there.)

16. SharpSpine

Yeah, I'm really leaning toward the Grande. I do have a Merkur 23C that I don't use as I found it too mild. If the threading is the same then I should be able to swap those out. Thanks Tom, I hadn't even thought about that. :happy088:

17. IAmTheJody

Oh yeah, I forgot to change to US dollars. :happy102:

SharpSpine likes this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Brian,

If you get the Grande and decide you don't like the handle, I have a new spare R41 regular handle you can have F.O.C.

SharpSpine and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Looks like thats settled....Whatever Bob says I would take to the bank....and you've got the Merker handle and Randy's got your back with a Muhle reg. handle.....Looking forward to the pictures and review...Congratulations....:)

battle.munky and SharpSpine like this.
  20. SharpSpine

Wow Randy, that's great, THANKS! Looks like I have zero reason now to avoid the Grande.

And thanks to all my enablers. I hope to repay you all one day in kind! ;)