Ranger head?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Jan 28, 2016.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

From what I could gather through mr-razor & Guido on Super Speeds (amongst other razors...kudos for your hard work, guys), would this be a Ranger head? No-notch center bar and no creases on the base plate...

[​IMG]

Not a Ranger handle, though...looks to be from a '48 Super Speed...

[​IMG]

At the post office & should be here waiting for me when I get off work.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

Yes, thanks...that's where I saw the creased blade tray. MTgrayling deserves a big "thank you" as well. I was thinking it probably was a hybrid, after reading about Gillette using older parts for some of their newer models. The guy who listed it said it was a "rare 1946 Super Speed", but had it priced fairly reasonable, especially for the condition it's in. I'll post pics this afternoon.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It looks an awful lot like my 46-47 SuperSpeed.
    47ss06.JPG 47ss08.JPG

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

Here we are...

Blade tray showing no creases...
    [​IMG]

Super Speed handle...
    [​IMG]

Clean throughout...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I understand the no notch thing, but what is this no creases on the blade tray?

7. '65 G-Slim

There's a crease on the bottom plate where the safety bar is, beside the slots, starting with the '47 SS. The Ranger had no crease.

[​IMG]

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am answering my own question. I found this picture. Uncreased on left, creased on right.
    [​IMG]

Primotenore and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

It looks like a SS/Tech hybrid. I had one that was replated by Krona Kruiser. It's one razor that I kind of regret letting go. The member that i sold it to is a member here. For some reason I thought I had too many razors and decided to downsize. I just liked my Ranger Tech more and kept that one.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

I did my first shave with it last night, using a Lord Platinum that I got in a sample pack. A real pleasure to use, mild, and not a bit of irritation.

11. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

Yes I recall it being mild to medium. My Ranger Tech is a but more aggressive. Almost like a Redtip; quite but approaching . The Hybrid was more like a Superspeed. The thought is that the Hybrid was made in early 1947 with left over Ranger Tech plates. It is at least a '47 since it is not notched.

12. '65 G-Slim

I've read up on everything I could find about it. I don't think Gillette kept detailed records about what parts they used on what razors and when. I might drop them a line and see if they can shed more light on this stuff.

13. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

Give me a second ( I have to find them) and I will pm you the readings I found on them.

14. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

15. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

16. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

Hi everyone, I have a question on the no crease head.

I have a ranger tech head on the 1946-1947 super speed handle. It is a no crease safety bar as shown in the picture, its the razor on the LEFT of the photo identified as a no crease. But mine does not have end caps.

Second thing is, my aristocrat 1946-1947 has the creased head, WITH end caps, shaves slightly more aggressive/more blade feel, but has the original 1941 handle with the flat head screw holding the tto rod in place.