"Rat Razors" on Parade.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 20, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This thread is dedicated to the ugly Straight Razors, in our rotation. These aren't meant to be "Ugly" unusable razors, but ones that aren't the pretty ones, but still give flawless shaves. I own several of these, and I tend to enjoy using these, more than the Pretty ones. They have character.

Razor- Japanese "JPN 1000" . It may not look it, but this is a fabulous razor. It is big, scary sharp, and delivers silky smooth shaves. It is just covered in corrosion pits, just not on the edge. The photos make it look prettier than in person.
    P6201019.JPG

brit, Dansco, battle.munky and 9 others like this.
  2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Helld Janenese 6/8 Razor .Not pretty but shaves wonderfully ,
    helld.jpg

brit, Dansco, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A Sheffield razor from G. Johnson. Not really that ratty, but it appears that the point had an issue in the past, therefore the end isn't square. Kind of a hybrid between a round & spike tip. Actually the best of both worlds , makes this an exceptional shaver.

IMG_0685.JPG

brit, Dansco, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Another "Rat Razor" of mine was used in my rotation today. It was a flawless shave, and couldn't ask for a better edge.
    It looked a lot worse, before it was polished up. But, the main reason I bought it, was for the scales. The razor just shaved so well, I didn't have the heart to scrap it for the scales.

Razor- John Pritzlaff HDW.
    P6231022.JPG

brit, Dansco, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Gee, all those are pretty cool. I wish I had steadier hands...I'd try one.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I tend to only keep the pretty ones...:D I have several dozen 'uglies' that if I put an edge on them, they'd be perfectly serviceable, but I'd probably never get around to using them (in favor of the 'pretty ones' currently in the rotation).
    Some I have are considerably less-than-perfect, but mainly due to a condition that was or is beyond restoring...

This one-time-a-beauty 'Sum Extra' German-made razor was part of an abused eBay set. At one point, I am fairly certain it has a lovely French-pont 5/8 wide blade.
    Despite the abuse, the blade still took a consistent edge and provided a comfortable shave. I'm just not a fan of 4/8" so it rarely gets used.
    [​IMG]

I have honed this 'ugly' antique store trio (before any restoration, $28 for the lot), but only shaved with one (the Dubl Duck), but all await restoration before they potentially enter the rotation.
    [​IMG]

Another potential 'ugly' duckling' — NOT in the rotation, but it has been honed and it shaved decently.
    The heel of the old Wade & Butcher is beyond hope, but the carved scales are unique.
    [​IMG]

This old Civil War Wostenholm frame back has enough historicity to it that I was compelled to leave it as is, not hone it and simply frame it in a shadow box.
    Blade wear and scales held together with a few added nails. Not a beauty, but a valuable piece of history. This is the 'good' side.
    [​IMG]

Dansco, Drygulch, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Kevin: I'm really proud of you for posting those ratty razors. I didn't think you had it in you :D

8. DaltonGang

@HolyRollah , your "Rat Razors" are nice, as is. Embrace the "Rat Razors", they have character, and show they were well loved, and used.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I found this razor in a drawer yesterday and decided to clean it up. It looked like this before I started. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I cleaned it up with some wet dry and 3M Marine Metal Rstorer. It cleaned up nicely.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I followed up with a honing session and it's up for a rat razor shave tomorrow.

brit, Drygulch, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice job of cleaning up that old Sheffield steel, Brian :happy088:

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  11. mrchick

Thank you! This one is a keeper

Billyfergie, Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another 'Rat Razor' qualifier: of similar vintage to Brian's Freddie Reynolds above, this old Sheffield razor comes from the Thomas Renshaw & Sons Cutlery Works (1851-1899); 'STAND' being their trademark. More renowned for their 'folding knives,' this razor has much going for it, along with the quality steel — full-hollow ground, double-shouldered, perfectly balanced. I ran it over the 1k Chosera and loved the feel. No shaves with it yet (I'm limiting my honing at the present time to spare my wrist).
    y11972.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    brit, Dansco, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

This is a "French", "Rasoir à rat"(Rat Razor). It looks to be old, possibly mid to late 1800's, and has a very thin blade and tang. The blade, except for the spine, is all one thickness, no hollow grinding. This is a fine shaving razor, that is a Faux Frameback, or "Rattler". It is a very loud razor, that demands the correct angle of shaving, if not, you won't like its bite.
    Razor- French "Rasoir Fin"
    P6241025.JPG

brit, Dansco, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another 'rough' one that has taken a decent, if not completed, edge.
    This Wostenholm 'Celebrated IXL' Washington Works 7/8," dating from the late 19th/early 20th century; is fullered on both sides (twin 'blood grooves') and took a very nasty-sharp edge off the 1k. The original horn scales are cracked on one side at the pivot pin but still feels solid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dansco, Drygulch, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  15. mrchick

I'm cleaning and honing this one for tomorrow [​IMG]

Dansco, Drygulch, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

That definitely qualifies as a Rat Razor, if you keep it looking like that. Very cool looking . That sure is a big bevel, are you going to add a few layers of tape, to tame it a little?
    Also, I've had horn scales split pretty badly, and used CA to stabilize them. I soaked it in some warm Palmolive for a few minutes first, to decrease the scales. The CA will take better that way. After its built up, over a week or so, depending on the amount needing to be built up. Then some sanding, and you can hardly tell it was cracked.

17. DaltonGang

This one doesn't look like it has been honed yet, or if it's had any rust knocked off yet.
    "Rat Razor" - worn looking razor that gives excellent shaves.
    "Ratty Razor"- Worn looking that doesn't shave well, or one that is going to be restored. Restoration to the point of looking pretty eliminates it from being a "Rat Razor".

Dansco, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  18. mrchick

Working on that now[​IMG]

Dansco, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Looks good. I love those old, big, and chunky razors. :happy088:

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not likely. :D You know me & my preference for purdy...
    When I get around to it, I'll refinish the blade & make it all real purdy-like.
    Yes, the evident toe wear means some spine tape to alleviate some the excess. I honed on the 1k sans tape, knowing I'll eventually refinish the blade face.
    CA & clamping does work pretty well on scale splits & this one is probably a good candidate for that repair route.

ratty2ready.jpg

brit, Dansco, stanko and 7 others like this.