Razor Blade Comparison: Astra Superior Platinum vs Derby Extra

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by arizona dreams, Apr 19, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I find the Gillette 7O'C SPs to be pretty much the same as the Astra SPs. Voskhod makes a great blade too, Sputniks are good for me too.

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I don't like Derby's but along with the Astra SP's I also really like the Personna Reds and the Vokshods.

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I could live with either blade, but I think Derby is going to win it by a nose. To be honest, though, given a blind challenge I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. They both work very well for me.

4. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

I just finished shaving with my EJ 89L & used a STORE BRAND DE Blade! American Safety Razor co. manufactured. $3.75 for the pack of 10. I had to do a touch up pass, but my face is baby butt smooth right now. I used these blades when I first began the DE shave. I got them again (after throwing them out, convinced it was the BLADES that were tearing my face off. After 3 months of DE shaving, I have discovered my technique is about as perfect as it's going to get, my EJ CAN use any blade I throw at her, even the cheapo grocery store CVS variety. I'll prolly get a second MAYBE a third shave out of this blade. What's my point?

There are razors that do well with milder blades & you'd never be able to tell that the blade was NOT as sharp as something else. My merkur on the other hand works best with a sharper blade. It's not a bad razor, it just has those characteristics....kinda like cars....some take synthetic, some take 5-30, some 10-30 oil.....ALL those types of cars w. oil requirements prolly run awesome! Blade sharpness is only important when it comes to the razor itself & the skin. How does a mild blade do in a razor that demands sharp ones? They drag, they chew, they stick & your styptic gets a workout. You'll get 2 DFS shaves, but it'll have a bloody pricetag.

I've YET to try Astras & Derby. I know for sure without trying them that Derby is something I'd try in my EJ & the Astra is something I'd try in my merkur. You can mix & match, but again, try shifting your oil in your car & after a while ya pay for it. You get sick of it...LOL! YMMV......yadda yadda...LOL!:D

fdce54 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. rube7072

rube7072 New Member

thanks guys for telling me about Astra. I was using the Derby and thought is was great, except that it was tearing my skin and a burning sensation after the shave. I listen and bought the Astra. WOW I found a home. Best shave i've had and will not look any further.
    again thanks

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Volkshod, Feather and Wal*Mart Wilkinson Sword. My go to blades. I like Astras as well, but consider Volkshod and Feather to be better. The Wilks I can buy locally at a reasonable price!
    Just because a blade is made at the same location doesn't mean a thing. There can be a night and day difference between two blades made on two different machines sitting 20 feet from each other. Or even blades made on the same machine, but processed differently.

Derbys, Bluebirds and Merkurs all tug for me. The Merkur is usable in a old style Gillette, but who wants a blade that only works in one type of razor?

7. rube7072

rube7072 New Member

I use feather also, but I find them hard on the skin. I get a razor burn, but like the closeness. Now my goto blade is the Astra. great price, great closeness, no burn.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

This^

9. Slice

Slice New Member

I put a Derby in my new EJ 89L and lathered up. After the first pass of downward strokes, I was very unhappy with he results. Patches of whiskers were removed but much larger patches remaining. A second pass across the grain was equally frustrating. A brand new blade and it felt like I was shaving with a spoon.

It was about this time that I realized the base was upside down.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

another...See Bill's Answer....I mean in most things shaving...YMMV rules...but especially in blades....
    But I would like to say this though....I've found the Derby's to be very inconsistant....a good one shaves as good as any blade I've tried...but sometimes I get 4 bad ones in a box.....I have found that the Derby blades where the printing on the blade is really dark and thick, to shave GREAT, but the ones where the printing is thin are almost always sub-standart.....And I've noticed a difference in the ratio between good & bad blades between packs of vertical or horizontal Derbys.....

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I love Derby blades ! Nothing gets dried bird poop off my windshield like a Derby!
    I wouldn't dare try to shave with one, made that mistake long ago.
    ASTRAS are #2 on my list, right behind Gillette Silver Blue.

DISCLAIMER:
    The above humerous statement is the opinion of the author only and in no way is intended to treat cure or diminish any illness.

12. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

When I started learning to use a DE, I loved Derby's. I tried Astra's and could not stand them. I used Derby's as my go to blade. After I learned proper technique, I tried the Astra's again, and they became my go to. I hardly ever touch the Derby's anymore, but I'm sure I will retry them one of these days and see what I think.