Razor Blade Holder

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by howlwolf, May 30, 2011.

1. howlwolf

howlwolf Member

Being new, can anyone suggest what they do with the used razor blades? How do you recycle them? I ordered a blade holder from Amazon, but it never came in so I am looking for ideas. I am going through several as you can imagine with my sample pack so they are building up. I just don't want to wrap them up and throw them out. One idea I did read about is someone uses a small piggy bank they bought at a dollar store and puts the used blades in there. Of course you mark it before you recycle it. Anyone do that? Never thought of this when I started, some blades do have a self holder, but some of the samples came by themselves and some of the blades are in small boxes as you know. Thanks.

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Taking my cue from others, I cut a wide slit in the top of a can of chicken broth with a knife. Drained the broth into another container, and refrigerated it until I used it. Filled the can with water, and drained it again a couple of times to rinse it. Now I just drop the blades in the slit at the top.

You can do the same thing by cutting a slit in the lid of an empty jar or bottle. If you have small children around, you may want to epoxy the lid onto the jar so they won't open it up. Some people use old Altoids cans, but again, that's something you'd do if there aren't any kids around to open them. There's also the possibility with those that you'll spill the blades when you open them up.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I toss mine into either a blade bank (several vendors sell 'em for a buck), or a plastic box some of the blades come in. If and when the blade bank ever gets full, I'll probably just use an old can.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

'Tis what I did. Grab a large jar of Pace picante sauce or salsa and some tortilla chips. Pretend tomorrow is March 21st and go to town on them. Rinse the jar after you kill the contents. Then I Gorilla Glued the lid shut and when it dried, I took a nice stiff kitchen knife and stabbed down through the top. Gave the blade a bit of a wiggle to widen the slit and done. Been using it for about six months and still only have maybe an inch of the bottom filled up. I figure a quick piece of tape over the top and chuck it in the trash and it'll be good to go IF it fills up. At the rate I'm going it'll be a good 5 years or so.

I do like the idea of the broth can though, seems easier and neater than my approach.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have always used coin banks. I picked these up at the $1 store. It takes literally years to fill one up, at the same time they are small enough not to be a nuisance.

Attached Files:

7. FamousAmos

FamousAmos Member

I use an altoids tin as someone alluded to. I lime it because it's small and takes up very little space.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. jcwit

jcwit Member

I use the plastic box that .22 rimfire cartridges come in, has a slidding lid and I'm sure will hold hundreds fo used blades.

9. Slinger646

Slinger646 New Member

Toss it in whatever soup/ravioli/veggie can is currently in the trash then stuff some newspaper into it.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I took a Seaforth deodorant jar (not the usual jug but a cylinder with red lid, just visible on p. 202 here), Dremeled a slit in the lid and presto.

11. howlwolf

howlwolf Member

Thanks. Great ideas. I got a good handle on it now.

12. El Dingo Satanico

El Dingo Satanico New Member

I leave mine in the sand box at the local pre-school. What? No, I mean I responsibly dispose of them using the can trick. Yes, that's what I meant.

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I use a empty floss continer.

14. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Mine is really simple an old family size mouth wash bottle. Unscrew the cap and drop it in, at the rate of 1 blade a week, this will last the rest of my life probably. Of course there are no children in my home.

15. o350125

o350125 New Member

For what it's worth, I use a chalkboard paint covered piggy bank that I got at Target. It called out to me and told me to store razor blades in it. Not in a "Son of Sam" kind of way, of course... It only demands that I kill whiskers and feed it steel.

I'll figure out what to do with the pig in a couple of years when it's full.