Razor Bumps

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hans Lee, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hans Lee

Hans Lee New Member

I am not sure which thread to post this topic so I am going to post it here in general and a mod can move it if need be. I am an african american that gets razor bumps when i shave. I have tried shaving with multi blade razors such as gilette fusion, bump protector,etc. I have also tried shaving with electric razors such as andis t outliner. They all cut hair fine but leave me with a bit of razor burn and I start to get bumps a day later. I looked into options such as laser hair removal but before going down that route I was curious if anything else would work. I have lately read up much on how straight edge razors with a pre shave oil or shaving gel have helped many with razor bump since it doesnt leave them with razor burn. I am curious if anyone has any actual form of input. Any experience with razor bumps, shaving products, laser hair removal, etc would be appreciated.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hello and welcome! The bumps, I assume, are ingrown hair. DE safety razors and Straight razors are less likely than carts to cause ingrown hair because of design. You may want to look at the link below. This system addresses your specific individual skin concerns.

https://getbevel.com/shave

Thanks for registering with us, and let me know if I can help in any way.

RetLEO-07 and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi welcome to the den. I came to use DE because of irritation and ingrown hairs.

Try a DE or if ou use a cart use the numb fighter. The fewer the blades the better so DE or a straight razor. Map your beard for the direction of hair growth and try going with the grain only in the beginning. I also used a product called PFB bump fighter after the shave. Going with a soap brush instead of canned shaving cream will help too. After two months I was able to stop using the PFB and start shaving across the grain and finally against the grain.

Good luck, I know it is frustrating.

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to get razor bumps all over my neck when using a Norelco electric shaver. An annoyance to say the least.

As the others suggested, a safety razor, sometimes called a double-edge razor might help. A good quality shaving soap or shaving cream, a shaving brush and blade sampler would be a good start. In case it helps, here is what I use:
    • Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor
    • Vie Long Model GC13900/3 brush
    • Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury Shave Soap
    • Kramperts Finest Bay Rum aftershave
    • Sometimes l rub my face with an alum block after shaving
    Blade samplers can be purchased from a variety of online stores. Try A Blade is a good place to start. There are lots of good options, my setup is just one of many.

In addition to this forum, you might also find Dr. Shave's Book of Shaving to be a useful reference.

Maggards Razors, Italian Barber, Shoebox Shaveshop and Connaught Shaving are some top notch online stores.

Anyways, that's a start.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Hans Lee. If you read up on the link Chris @Bama Samurai posted, liked the idea of that system, and don't mind participating in an auction - I know a website where those are selling quite a bit under retail.
    (You can click on my name, a bubble will pop up, choose "Start a Conversation". This is the Private Message (PM) feature)

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Welcome. I fought similar issues in the past on my scalp, including some mild keloid scarring. I would say that getting advice from a dermatologist or two is a good starting point. I had 2 tell me to stay away from the pre-shave oils.
    1. Whatever you do, I would say prepare yourself for a 6 month to 12 month long series of experiments. Change only one thing at a time, and stick with that chance for a full 2 weeks before deciding whether it's helpful or harmful.
    2. If you haven't already, try varying the time between shaves. Start out shaving every day for a couple of weeks. Back off to every other day for the next two weeks, then maybe try to go every 3 days for a couple of weeks. Decide which frequency works best. Many people have had improvements just from varying the shave frequency.
    3. A double edge razor could help, but it will take a few months to develop technique and figure out what works for you (razor aggressiveness and blade choice).
    4. A good soap (or cream) and brush could help, but see number 3 above. It takes some time to learn to build the proper lather.
    5. Moisturize 2x daily. I use Nivea Creme.
    6. Try Tend Skin. If it works, you can look up homemade recipes that are cheaper.
    I did all of the above, plus quite a few others. It took my about 8 months to get to the point where I didn't need to be on antibiotics every 6 weeks. I maintained my routine successfully for a couple of years, but I still wasn't satisified with the amount of time it took me to shave and the fact that I did still have a bit of a problem. So I started getting laser treatments. They're painful, and it's taken a lot of treatments, but my hair is thinned enough that my shaves don't take as long and I'm only getting 1 or 2 bumps a day that seem to fade fairly quickly.