Razor burn?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dbell, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dbell

dbell New Member

I shaved for my second time a couple days ago with my Merkur 34C and the included Merkur blade. For whatever reason, this time it was more painful after. Not sure if my technique was bad or I went too fast, but 2 days later and my face still feels raw.
    Is this Merkur blade not a great one, or was it my technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Bama Samurai and Linuxguile like this.
  2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Probably technique first but also those Merkur blades are rough

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Terry Williams, dbell and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Some people like the Merkur blade others not so much. One thing to consider is that if it is the blade that came with your razor it could have been subject to a lot of abuse during shipping. Try another blade. Also if you are coming from cartridge shaving and this is your first time using a safety razor you have to realize that there are things that a cartridge razor does for you that a safety razor requires you to do. Namely sets the shaving angle and mitigates excess pressure. With a safety razor you do not want to apply any pressure while shaving, just let the blade glide effortlessly across your face wiping away later and whiskers in the process. Maintaining the correct angle is also important as it is the difference between the blade slicing hair off and scraping hair off (and skin.) . To find the best angle start with the cap of the razor flat against your skin and the handle parallel to the floor. slowly lower the handle a degree or two and make a test stroke. Keep doing this until the blade cleanly wipes away a swath of lather. That will be the angle that you want to shave with.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:
    Hear him @dbell! Knowledge right there!

Zykris, Bama Samurai, dbell and 3 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

dbell and Linuxguile like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD has Forums for many different aspects of shaving - except for blades. The variables that differentiate a smooth comfortable shave from nicks, razor burn, and pain are numerous. Choice of blade is one such variable. Technique another. Only one thing will tell you if a particular blade is good for you - a successful pleasant shave. That depends on your technique. Catch 22, umm yup. There are so many brands of blades, and no real agreement on even what's a good blade. Technique also has it's different schools of thought. I think most DE shavers will agree on one point - you must unlearn cartridge shaving habits. That flippy floppy multi bladed glide strip tool you've learned required pressing the razor head to your skin. This new DE razor depends on you learning how to follow the contours of your face. Personally I subscribe to the Ride The Cap school. There's a link below in my signature. There's also a Support Group that is full of folks sharing tips, tricks, hints, failures, and successes - another link below The 30 Day Rule/Focus Crew.

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Cart shaving taught you to use pressure. Irritation in your case is likely technique, though Merkur blades can be a bit rough. Come talk to us:

The Technique Guys

The above link is full of helpful and experienced forum vets. Pop in, introduce yourself. They will get you straightened out in no time.

8. dbell

dbell New Member

Great advice. I think I'm going to try a new blade and also pay attention to my pressure and angle. Thank you!

RyX likes this.
  9. dbell

dbell New Member

Thank you!

Zykris and RyX like this.
  10. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

11. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

It's probably your technique and prep. You have a great razor but the Merkur blade I don't like. It's usable but I don't like it. Learn everything you can about technique and prep. A few pieces of advice that has really helped me are...1) make sure to shave post shower 2) learn how to build a great lather 3) know your cutting angle 4) keep the razor/blade warm during the shave...yes I'm aware there is a huge Fellowship Of Cold Water Shavers here, but warm water works much better for me. Before you know it you will consistently having great shaves !!!

RyX and dbell like this.
  12. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

* Keep your face wet.
    * Apply no pressure to the razor.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Terry Williams, dbell and Keithmax like this.
  13. dbell

dbell New Member

Agreed, love the 34C, but not a fan of the blade included. Going to try a different one next shave. I have a sampler pack with 10 different kinds. Thanks for the other tips!

RyX likes this.
  14. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I was new to this ( still am ) as of a couple months ago. I purchased a 34C and my first couple of shaves were with the included Merkur blade. It was an ok shave but I was not impressed. I purchased a sampler at the same time and it came with 2 more of the blades. Once I got around to trying them again, I had a few very nice smooth shaves with them. Was all about buying a bunch of them until I found out what they cost. I have found several other blades that I like better that are way cheaper.

Honesty I found that pretty much every blade I used out of the sampler.....I liked them a lot better the second time around. I can only chalk that up to my technique got better. Now I have several blades I am a fan of and only a couple I am not, out of what I have tried so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Williams, dbell, RyX and 2 others like this.