Razor Emporium or Razor Plate?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Aside from the 8-10 dollar difference who should I pick to replate my newly acquired SS? I picked it up for 5 bux with the case at a local tag sale. I scrubbed it down with scrubbing bubbles and polished it a wee bit, However it has some brassing and some minor pitting on the underside of the head.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Jim99 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've never had anything plated, but I did buy a couple Long Comb NEW heads from Razor Emporium. They were $20 a piece and I have been happy with them. Here is a pic of my current daily driver. Unfortunately I don't have one of the top cap, but it is a nice razor.

[​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Razor Plate without question. Chris does very nice work and has a great attention to detail. His only problem right now is that he's swamped. His turn-around is around 5 weeks or so. He just advised me that my '58 gold Exec is on its way back to me. I've also got a late '40s tech being done in nickle.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Jim99 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

So far I have heard nothing but good things about Razor Plate.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I like razor emporium. I have used them twice and both came out excellent.

6. Herm2502

I suggest you actually email Chris at RazorPlate with your project and get his opinion as to turnaround and what would be involved. He'll be glad to communicate with you.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had a chance to meet Matt at Razor Emporium in Arizona earlier this year. Fantastic guy and a fantastic operation. I got to look at 20 razors being packaged to return to customers. Absolutely flawless work.

8. llalm

llalm New Member

Razo Emporium had bad reviews for their replating over the years. Not sure if their quality and control had gotten better.

9. BigMark

I decided on using Sport Shaving.

10. Herm2502

LOL. After all our arguments for Razor Plate and Razor Emporium, you go with Sport Shaving! Good decision either way. Let us see the results!

BigMark likes this.
  11. BigMark

I did not take any "Before" photos but I will definitely post some "After" photos. I sadly lack a smart phone.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Looks like you need a new "Title" now............

13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I emailed Chris @ Razor Plate last night and now have my F4 Toggle on the way for a gold replate. He said he is currently working on a 4-5 week turn around. Seems like a good fella. I can't wait to see what it looks like when done. It is my Birth Quarter Razor and doesn't get used often, but will be prominently displayed.

ObiDon and BigMark like this.
  14. Herm2502

I'm expecting my '58 Exec and an early 40's Tech from Chris soon.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Wookie Rancher!

BigMark and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  16. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

They've been hated for a while. However I'd say....4-6 months ago the company had a huge turnaround and the customer base and reviews have gone towards almost universal applause.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I would trust Razor Emporium with any of my razors. I've spoken with one of the owners on Facebook during a Q&A event, they seem to be good people. They probably just hit a rough spot and are back on the up and up.

18. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

Anyone have razor plate email?

I am looking to black coat a gem razor

19. Herm2502

I believe you can contact Chris Evatt by checking the website. www.razorplate.com

Herm

20. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

Great. Just emailed him thanks