Razor of choice for head shaving

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by newb, May 26, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

What's your favorite razor combo for head shaving. I use a ball end tech with a sharp brand blade. Seems to work great on my noggin. :D YMMV

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have three razors (Fatboy, Tech, and Weishi) that all work equally well. Each can take a Dorco ST301, Crystal, or RPP equally well. I'm guessing "headblade" will be the most popular answer.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I use an Oster clipper with a 0000 blade on it.

I've used my Mach 3 in the past with decent results. I worry about using a DE razor as I have a bumpy head.

4. red71veloce

red71veloce Member

Ever-Ready 1912 head on a BullMastiff handle loaded with a Ted Pella blade....shaving nirvana!

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Merkur 15c w/ palm-stropped 7o'clock super platinum (black package)

6. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Straight razor.

James.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Show-off.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

:D:happy102

James.

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    My tool of choice is a headblade.... with gillette blades.

Wish I could pull of a straight though. :ashamed001

10. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Headblade, with their 2-blade cartridge. Been using it daily for years; love it!

11. AxelH

AxelH New Member

Gettin' Head

I have a Goldtech and a Weishi, too. I can use any of the DE blades I own: 3 10-dispenser packs (most likely personna) from various stores, Wilkinson, 7am, Supermax, Dorco, and Israeli (mantic's video says they're personna) with them.

I shaved my head for the first time last week. First I shaved off all my hair with 1/16th" clipper Wahl hair trimmer. Then went to work (mama bear's). I was surprised how well I did, given it was the first time. Only three spots of blood left on the second hand, all of which closed up before the final rinse.

12. Scout

Scout New Member

Not sure.

Been shaving my head for about seven years with a disposable, My Merkur should be here in a few days and the blade sample pack. I'm a little nervous about the first head shave. Face won't be a problem it's pretty tuff, But the head I'm having a little butterflies about.

James

13. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

E3 Injector w/ Ted Pella blade. Use it in the shower; much more tolerant of blade angles for me and the blade lasts a very long time if you only use it on the melon.

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'd recommend a couple face shaves to get used to the razor before attempting the head. Then, just relax and do it. The only tough part is shaving the areas you can't see. If you know the razor well, even that isn't very tough.

15. Scout

Scout New Member

Luckily I have a fairly round head without too many lumps or bumps, probably easier than I am thinking.

James

16. blugill

blugill New Member

IMO. HeadBlade Sport + HeadSlick Shave Cream + Your brand of Witch Hazel + What ever else you wanna put on it = Head Shaving Perfection !

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Well an update, I still use the Oster, but have been using a Merkur 11c on the melon.

18. newb

newb Resident Newb

Since my original post, around 150 head shaves ago, I do still use a tech but only when I'm pressed for time. Now my head shaves are based on the condition of the growth. For routine daily shaves I use a gillette New or a tech. If I have a couple of days growth , it's a GEM 1912 all the way (nothing mows down a couple days growth to BBS as well as a 1912, IMHO). I've been experimenting with st8's and a Rolls lately. So far I've come to the conclusion that my st8 skills are still very lacking, But once a Rolls is properly sharpened it can actually compete with the 1912 (but takes additional time and passes). As with everything shave related YMMV.

19. gglass

gglass New Member

I'm with BluGill my weapons of choice are Headblade Sport, HeadSlick and good moisturiser after...

20. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

You're a mad man! I can't even get my face shaven with one of those without a nice butchering!