Razor of the Month Star SE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cpool222, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Is it OK for me to start a Razor of the Month thread here or do I need a moderator to approve it? Well, I'll go ahead and give it a shot, and someone can slap my hand if I'm out of line. I would like to see a Razor of the Month for people to post their pictures of their STAR single-edge razors. I would like to request that people refrain from posting pictures of their other single-edge razors so in subsequent months we might be able to do a month for GEMs, Ever-Readys, etc. Anyway, I'm going to attempt to post pictures of two of my STAR razors, the first 5 should be of a STAR "lather-catcher" set that has the stropping attachment and some of the permanent blades that these came with. I love these because so much effort went into the cool engraving, etc. The next three pics should be of an unusual STAR that I have. It mostly looks like a 1912-type, but has retained some of the features of the lather-catchers, such as that it doesn't have a lid on the top of the head, and has the guides on each side of the head where you slip the blade under. Unfortunately, this one is missing one of the little "nubs" at the front of the head that keeps the blade edge from moving forward. If anyone knows someone who could work on/fix that problem, please let me know. Ok, here goes:

Attached Files:

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nothing wrong with it at all.

I love these old lather catchers from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Most of them are the definition of "functional art". I don't use one, mind you, but I do love the look of them. Me and SE razors just can't get along.

3. cpool222

It took a little getting used to, but now the single-edge razors are my favorite.

4. Blobster

Blobster Member

Hello Cleave. I bought a Clog Pruf off you many moons ago. Went all the way to Western Australia. Fantastic razor. Anyhow never knew Star did so many models. Just thought they did 1912s and that was it. That hummingbird you had in your previous avatar has morphed in to something entirely different! Nice to bump in to you again.

5. cpool222

Thanks, good to hear from you again as well. Yes, that granddaughter has revitalized us, we're really enjoying her. The STAR razor company made some really cool lather-catcher sets. I have one or two more I can show but was hoping we could get others to share some of their STAR finds. Have a great day!
    Cleave

6. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Cleave,
    Those are beauties! If you wanted to "refurbish" the Star flat-head, I'd suggest asking a jeweler put a spot of bronze braze there, and file-to-fit. Obviously, you would want to have it replated, afterwards. Silver solder would match the finish, but would not really be a long-term solution, nor could you plate over it(softer than the plating).

Otherwise, keep as-is- I haven't seen that pattern before, either.;)

GDCarrington likes this.