Razor Re-plating

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omaney, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Folks it looks like my jeweler hook up has stopped doing any plating. I am looking for first hand experiences and reviews from y'all about any companies currently doing this work in the U.S.

I have read through the sticky on this already.

What say you?

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I sent two razors to Chris Evatt, who runs RazorPlate.com, a couple of weeks ago. He has reasonable rates and 4-5 week turn-around time. We'll see how they turn out.

http://www.razorplate.com/p/blog-page.html

Adonis and Herm2502 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My comment regarding replaying razors is simply this: Save it for a razor you really treasure or wish to keep for an heirloom or for some sentimental reason.
    Replating is not the best investment to make if one is simply looking to enhance resale—unless it is an already high-in-demand model.
    Replated razors looks pretty, but the cost can be prohibitive.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree. It is not a good investment at all, but if you want to really take a razor back to like new condition, it will do the trick. I am glad I did my NEW.
    new_plated0a.jpg
    I may have my fatboy done one day, but I'm not sure.

Tdmsu, BigMark and Boojum1 like this.
  5. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Personally, I am not in to re-plating. I have a Fatboy, Slim Adjustable, Red Tip, '58 SS, and a '47 SS and I prefer these old guys just the way they are. Sure, they show their battle scars from many years of faithful service but re-plating would take this away. A little brassing and pitting does not detract from the great shaves they give me. :happy088:

Ed

dscaver likes this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Replating can turn a razor back into original condition. If someone spends $20.00 on a vintage Flare Tip Super Speed, gets it replated in it's Original Nickel Finish for $35. So $60-65 isn't bad for BEAUTIFUL & SHAVE READY. ;)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

+1 on Chris at Razor Plate. I'm waiting on my 1958 Executive (gold), he said it should be done in a little bit. Just in talking to him you can tell he has a tremendous knowledge of the process and a great attention to detail. Yes, he's at 4-6 weeks now because some of the other "independent" platers are on hiatus. Can't wait to get it back.

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I've got a birth quarter F4 toggle that I got for a pretty good price. A replate is just what it needs. I might have to get in touch with Chris. I guess it falls into the in demand category, but it will have to be sold by my heirs after they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

burnout961 and Boojum1 like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I agree that if it's for investment replating is not a good idea. But, for personal use and to keep, why not? People repaint cars and houses. They refinish furniture. Why not a razor? I've got a '58 Exec getting redone now. I bought it recently and it has no sentimental value...at least not yet. When it's done it will be all mine!

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Definitely not for "investment". I want it for me. I've an old Tuckaway that shows it's age.

11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Is your Tuckaway silver or gold? If it's silver, I'd try polishing with Maas first...made mine look brand new doing this. However, I personally have no problem with re-plating. Nothing wrong with giving vintage equipment a new lease on life.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

It's neither...
    [​IMG]

blanka likes this.