Razor Replating Services

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Neolithium, Jan 26, 2014.

1. fdce54

fdce54 Member

I purchased a nickel revamped '64 Super Speed Flaretip from the Razor Emporium about a month ago and it looks brand new. They did an excellent job on it and it shaves great.

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My experience is somewhere between about $40 and about $100. This depends on the quality of the work, the material used, any special requests, mailing back and forth, etc. For example, in order to plate Rhodium, they usually have to plate Nickel first.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Thank you! I am thinking about having the Sheraton replated and making it an heirloom.

Slow Joe likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Whats the deal with WestCoast Razors. I visit the website and it states that the store is just for demo purposes. It has been like that for months. I just want to get this SE fixed up.

5. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Krona's web site says they are no longer doing replating as of April of this year (2014).

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com did a wonderful job replating two razors of mine, a Red Tip and Flair Tip. He is working on my Birth Year Razor and a razor blade box, which should be finished soon. I recommend Chris he does great work. :happy096:

I had three razors replated by Reliable Electroplate this year. Their work on two razors took six months to complete. On the other razor close to four
    months. Replating razors at Reliable is strictly a sideline. They didn't paint the numbers on my Slim Adjustable razors. I guess they aren't a paint shop either.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Terry Williams and Herm2502 like this.
  7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Having looked at a lot of pictures and reading the comments on getting a razor replated, Chris Evatt from Razorplate.com goes to the top of my list. He uses the same process that Gillette uses for one, and with an adjustable the band will be correct and the numbers painted. His results can be seen in a lot of threads here at the Den. I will send him one of my razors when it needs it.

Terry Williams, Radiotube and Boojum1 like this.
  8. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

What were the prices for Reliable and for Razorplate?

9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Go to Razorplate.com to see Chris's prices

Terry Williams, ninjack and Boojum1 like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Is there anyone else in Europe that can replate razors? The shop in England states they stopped replating in April 2014

12. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I cannot say enough good things about Nick Brown , the owner of Sport Shaving . His turn around is great as most jobs are done within 10 days and he is a very friendly individual. I am a customer for life. Actually his username is @FacialCarnage .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    He does good work...

BigMark likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Chris at RazorPlate now has "Black Chrome". I've only seen a one pic but it looked amazing.

Terry Williams and Boojum1 like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That black chrome does look fantastic.

Herm2502 likes this.
  16. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I have plating equipment and gave done my fair share of replaying using rhodium with white gold. The solutions are pricy but rhodium is a great element to plate with. I have also done watch cases and rotors.

Totally correct that you must replayed any ferrous metal with nickel first, then go on to rhodium or even gold. The chromium in Stainless steel interferes with the playing process.

I'm thinking of finding a vintage safety razor and restoring it to see how difficult the process is. I own the equipment and solutions, so why not give it a try.

FYI the rhodium plating process must be done in a very well ventilated area as it gives if toxic fumes, just in case you were thinking of getting some equipment and it's a must to get an industrial/jeweler's grade plating unit. Don't ever go cheap on plating equipment unless you want bad results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I had these plated by Chris @ RazorPlate.com. He works with Chris Smith of email://VintageRazorRepair@gmail.com. Chris Smith disassembled and cleaned the parts; then sent them to Chris Evatt; who sent them back to Chris Smith for reassembly and detail. These came out really nice, IMHO. These guys are quite a team and they don't charge enough for their work. All 3 razors (disassembly, cleaning, plating, reassembly, detailing, all shipping) were around $250.00, total. Rhodium was the expensive stuff. Probably would've been around $150.00 for all three in nickel.

'65 Slim Black Rhodium and Nickel doors and adjuster.
    _DSC7756.jpg
    All nickel '61 Slim
    _DSC7752.jpg
    '88 Super Adjustable with Black Rhodium doors and bright parts in Nickel.
    _DSC7754.jpg

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

In the last two years I've had 2 Red Tips and a 40's super speed (rhodium) and a 54 Tech replated (gold) all with good results.

Terry Williams and Herm2502 like this.
  19. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Have you tried to repair any razors? I have a '48-51 super speed that has alignment issues and needs a replating. It's yours if you want to give it a go. It's from that flea market we discussed. PM me if you are interested.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

twhite and champagneinhand like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Those are beautiful. Cap'n Murphyy he BB is particularly tough because of the aluminum. Yours looks great.

HERM