Razor socks - what material?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi All you know those silicone impregnated cloth socks. First do they work and second what is the material called? I want to buy my own material and make a pouch for all my razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Not sure what the material is but so far they have worked for me. My bathroom is pretty dry so I may not be the best dats point.

3. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything except several brand of gun socks. I may not be right, but I'm guessing it isn't something you can just buy for a DIY.

Karl G likes this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

You may have to go all the way and get the fabric and impregnate it with silicone yourself. I do not have any socks so cannot venture a guess as to what the fabric is, bu it is very stretchy, which makes it a knit fabric, and you will likely need a surgery type sewing machine to sew the pieces.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Just curious why? Travel?

Jayaruh is what I was thinking I have one but don't use it for a razor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  7. COMPNOR

SRD sells them for individual razors and a 7 roll. I have two

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

To prevent rust, given the humid environment in most shave caves it is a good precaution.

@Vlasta I ordered a bunch from The Superior Shave, he is very good about international shipping. I added them when I bought a straight from him.

9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Cannot find the "7-roll'?

Karl G likes this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've kept quiet on this thread, since it started, but I now just wish to put my 2¢ worth of opinion in. This is strictly from my experiences. So, take it for what you wish to get out of it.
    For 40 years, since I was a teen, I've used guns and knives. I've stored them in various holsters and cases. Two knives, Schrade and Case, had been oiled, and stored in their leather sheaths. Several months later, they were pulled out, to be used, and wherever the leather touched, the knives were rusted. I have had a Ruger Super Blackhawk pistol do the same thing, in a leather holster, even as it was stored in a gun safe, that's temp and humidity controlled.
    I've also stored guns in fleece and cotton lined leather cases, that I have coated the inside with silicone spray, for Approx 40 years. None of these guns ever showed the slightest bit of rust.
    So, I will say, I love the look of leather, but not for long term storage, where the leather might touch the metal. I have leather razor cases, and use them strictly for travel.

12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Top Tip!

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  13. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I've used Polar Fleece to make razor rolls for quite sometime. Very easy to do, cut out a rectangle of the appropriate size, fold it over and stitch pockets for the razors and tack on a ribbon on one side to tie the roll up. No need to finish the edges.
    I personally like the plaid patterns and use a particular plaid to store my collection and different patterns for my other straights.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Heard about the perils of keeping a knife in a leather pouch for an extended duration over on a knife forum, unless the leather has been vegetable tanned.

Spyder, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I was about to say the ssme thing but you beat me to it. Leather is a durable material but its not great for finishes. It can cause wear and add to issues with rust. You mention a shave den being humid but anything that is sealed has a better chance of sealing in humidity. A rack that is open air will likely provide the best protection as it allows for free flow of the air.

Remember these are tools and I highly doubt their original owners cared for them as much as many of us here do.

I'm also a shooter and have several vintage firearms and dalton is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

16. COMPNOR

I don't think anyone is talking about storing in leather cases which is something I'd never do long term. Just those gunsocks as it were which I've never heard of issue with.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I agree with @DaltonGang on this. I do not store any of my hunting knives or pistols in leather. But that is for extended storage. Thanks for speaking out, it didn't cross my mind when the op asked for the link. The cloth socks shouldn't be an issue as they still breathe. I also don't store my straights in their boxes, but I'm pretty sure a lot of them lived out their existence in one.

Keithmax likes this.
  18. COMPNOR

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

20. COMPNOR

I don't have a wife.