Re-sizing/shaping triple milled

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Sledge, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Im thinking of trading out my DR Harris marlborough shave soap, i am not too enticed by the fragrance, but from what i understand, the TOBS soaps have a rounded bottom that wont fit in the base of the DR wooden bowl? so, how do i make a triple milled soap fit into another container?

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I have seen somewhere (It is getting late so I cannot completely recall) that you can basically grate the soaps with a cheese grater or similar device to various effects. The Oskar Scuttle comes with a soap lid and I believe he grates the soaps to get them into the lid.

The obvious way around resizing the soap is to spend the extra few dollars and get the soap with the wooden bowl included. Trumpers and if I recall TOBS both have bowls and the refills. Price was not TOO too different. Might be easier than grating your knuckles off if you are not paying attention. :D

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

yeah but i dont have the room for all these bowls, plus... i like how the harris one looks more :) better wood too... mahogany

4. Sledge

Sledge New Member

has anyone notices triple milled soaps as having a somewhat "drying" effect on their skin? i just did a test batch of my harris again to see if i like it, and it lathered well i suppose... but when i put it on my hand, it wasnt very lubricating... and when i washed it off, it seemed to leave a very... rubbery film... almost like it water proofed it or something lol are triple milled soaps supposed to use less water or more water than standard glyc based?

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

There is always the fun game of experimentation with the grater idea. Though I am honestly not sure how well that would actually work.. lol

I am sure some of our soap makers would have a much better idea than me. I just think some of my kitchen tools would make great strides. Grater..Food Processor.. Blender. Soap beware!:rofl

6. Sledge

Sledge New Member

ya i have a grater... would probably work good for it too :) but considering what shave soap has been doing to my sink... im not sure i would want to use that grater for cheese after using it on my soaps lol that sink needed a thorough scrub down with a scotch brite... and even then its got residue... lol

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    A cheese grater is the only option I know of.

You can get the kind that presses the food, or soap in this instance, against the grater. So you don't end up grating your knuckles.

Then just press the shredded soap into your desired container.

Not sure how well that would work, but it's the only thing I can think of.

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Huh.. never had a residue issue. My soap rinses quite cleanly from everything it touches.

Even so, a cheese grater is nice and cheap so you could in theory just throw it away after.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I cut mine with a regular knife.....then mash it into a container.

Just recently did this with Kabinett shave soap, worked perfectly.

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Cut it into manageable pieces...then just grate it.......and stuff those into your container.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You can sometimes find a small grater in a bargin bin for for a $ or 2. Considering what we pay for shave products, it's a bargin.

12. Sledge

Sledge New Member

yeah i know, i could probably just get one dedicated to doing that if im going to be buying a lot of triple milled soaps.. will do :) thanks guys

13. jfrancisco

jfrancisco New Member

I use a knuckle board cheese grater and it works fine. I have quite a few soaps that I have grated and put into the one cup Anchor-Hocking glass jars. I like having everything uniform and sealed in their own containers. Plus, by not buying the expensive and not very practical wooden bowls that the manufactures want you to buy, I can spend that money on more soap!

14. Sledge

Sledge New Member

lol spend it here, spend it there... its still spending ;) and whats the extra $10 for a TOBS bowl when we got people in here with 110 brushes, 300 razors, 45 creams/soaps, and God only knows how many thousands of DE blades? LOL i think next time i get a tobs cream i might just get the bowl... but who knows... they arent as high quality as the DR harris bowls.. but, in the long run... i think it might be worth the time and effort saved grinding the bars up... but i have yet to try the TOBS bar i have... and thats my dilemma... dont want to invest in a product i dont care for, you know?

15. gugi

gugi New Member

So, why exactly do you need to grind the TOBS bar into a bowl before you try it? I am sure you have a spare mug/cup in your house that can hold your TOBS soap for the first few shaves until you decide whether you want it in a better and more permanent container.
    And personally I wouldn't hesitate to use the same grater for cheese and soap. Of course washed in between. I do use washing detergent and hot water in between subsequent uses of my dishes and utensils because I find stainless steel and porcelain vastly preferable to the single use paper/styrofoam/plastic.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Loose pucks never stopped me from trying them. I just stick them in my hand and build the lather in my hand or transfer the lather to a lather bowl. I just throw the puck into a $.15 plastic container after I'm done shaving until I'm done evaluating it.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  17. Sledge

Sledge New Member

the only thing i like about it being in its own container designed to fit it, is that it doesnt slip and slide around... granted, im a newbie.. so there are many tricks i dont know about.. and i just dont know any other way. as for using it in my palm, i would have nowhere to put it when i was done... with the exception of making a mess somewhere with a slick, foamy, recently used shaving soap lol i dont have any tupperware containers that are unused, and the whole point of trying this approach is to minimize having the spend more $$$ on something that may, or may not work out for me... i mean in reality, the money i spent on trying out lather bowls wasnt too harsh, but i still wish i found the one i use currently sooner lol

18. gugi

gugi New Member

Any container that you currently have (such as mug, cup, bowl, dish, or unused shaving bowl) would be appropriate place to drop the wet soap into. In few hours you can transfer it to a plastic bag, or wrap it in a plastic wrap, aluminum foil, old newspaper (etc., depending on how ghetto you feel comfortable going), rinse the container and be happy that you saved $10.

19. Sledge

Sledge New Member

well the options you gave are a bit "ghetto"... more so than im prepared to go... cant have a bunch of wadded up balls of newspaper or tin foil sittin next to my expensive shave gear... lol ill check out ross or something to see if they have good deals on a set of little containers... i just dont see the point in spending the price most places ask for these little plastic things...ive seen small, and i mean SMALL containers from rubbermaid that are like 8 or 9 bucks... in the back of my mind im thinkin "$1.50" lol i only like spending money on stuff i WANT... not stuff i could find cheaper somewhere else... you know?

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Just get some of these:

[​IMG]

And call it a day
    . Costs a few bucks, and they'll fit your soaps perfectly. No resizing necessary.