Reality check

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cournot, Sep 28, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

I've been at the DE game for several weeks now, returning to it after decades with cartridges, although I did use a safety for several years from adolescence to early twenties. I'm totally sold on DE shaving and enjoy getting a smooth, nice shave while pampering my face with good prep, a good lather, and post shave follow through. But today, I got a clear DFS and was mostly BBS. But I had to struggle with some bits under my jaw and at the edges of my mouth. So I decided to test something. On the third pass, I put away my DE and pulled out my 6 blade Dorco cartridge shaver. I used the left over lather which was rather thin because I added some water to get it to cover my face. Then I went quickly over my face and jaw, scraping away quickly and without care. Result: BBS without irritation even in places that I can never get a full DE BBS without irritating it. After splash confirmed -- no sting or burn anywhere.

Conclusion: I still have much to learn and I enjoy the ritual of DE shaving, but there was a real reason that I and many people switched over to the convenience of cartridge shaving.

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I totally know where you are coming from. I think carts are a tool just like any other shaving implement. For the first 3 months of DE shaving I used a cart for touch ups. It works really well. The nice thing is that it removes the tugging. Carts are designed to tug and then cut, which is what leads to irritation and ingrowns. However, by your third pass there is not much left to tug. I have to admit that my cart useage is almost nil now. Sometimes I will still pull out the cart for my touch up pass if don't feel like blade buffing or if I'm trialing a new DE blade and am not yet confident enough to blade buff. The nice thing is that a cart blade will last a couple of months when used only for touch ups as opposed to a couple of shaves when I used them for the whole shave. This really mitigates cost. It is a tool and it is your shave.

macaronus likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Glad you enjoy your shaves! :happy088:

4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My thinking is that a DE is much more effective at mowing down the big clumps of whiskers, while the cartridge is more effective at getting the strays and light hairs left behind by the DE. With time I think you will drop using the cartridge because you will not need it to get a BBS.

For me, the problem area was always under my nose. I used to use a cartridge to clean it up. Eventually, I was able to bypass the cartridge.

cournot, VedderLG and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Whatever works for you is AOK, because it is your shave.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I understand... DE shaving isn't for everyone- it wasn't for me. I did do it for years though just because I wanted to do something "old school" and I'm a cheapskate. From acceptable to good shaves are all I got but not what I'd call excellent. I have had much better luck with SEs and injectors. I've even had better luck with twin blade cartridges (not to be confused with disposables which suck) which I have now thrown in the mix. I would not touch any cartridge that has more than 3 blades though but if that is what works for you...

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. cournot

cournot Member

Well fram773, as I noted DE shaving is definitely for me. Not only do I enjoy my shaves more, but I like being able to use a blade only 2 or 3 times and then tossing it. But I'm just noting that in my case, the cartridge razors do succeed in some areas that DEs don't and that I plan to keep my cartridges for touch-ups or for travel even while remaining a 99% DE shaver.

178-bplatoon and VedderLG like this.
  9. Technium

Technium Active Member

I appreciate the thread. I have a similar experience so far though I enjoy the wet shave process enough that I've only touched up once with a cart. Also because I'm stubborn. But I can imagine situations where less time is available.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I understand your thoughts. I still use a cart to touch up and when traveling. Over time I anticipate the need for the cart will go down as my technique improves.

Clint

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

This.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well bless your cotton socks..:p

markjnewcomb likes this.
  14. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

Really tempted to try this too until I get a better grasp on DE shaving - I feel like I never *quite* get close enough, but I really enjoy not having the razor burn on my cheeks any more, so some precision cartridge work would probably be pretty helpful.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It is a process that does require practice. Learning to shave with a multi blade cartridge is easy; learning to get a close shave in three passes with a double-edge razor does take some practice. But the majority of shavers who DO switch over to DE razors do so for good, with little or no regret. Using a cartridge razor to bat 'cleanup' is a sound transitional method that accomplishes two things: it allows you to practice you wet-shaving DE skills, and you still get a decent shave even though your DE skills may be lacking. This is a very similar situation to when shavers learn to use a straight razor (challenging!), and use a DE razor as 'clean up' until the SR skills are up to par.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

When I first began I would often "chase the baby" sometimes making as many as 10 passes. Then I got smart and went for comfort over smoothness. I've been "traditional" shaving about 3 years now and while I regularly get DFS and sometimes BBS, I now "ALWAYS" get a smooth, comfortable irritation/nick free shave.
    Stick with it, concentrate on comfort and the closeness will come, if you feel the need to use a cart blade on occasion then do it. IMO however the sooner you stop using a cart completely, the quicker your technique will improve and the closer your DE shaves will become.:)

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor