Reassembly of an Aristocrat #16

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theunnamed, Oct 29, 2015.

1. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

Hello gents, I found this in the wild, replated with nickel. But I'm having difficulty in reassembling it. Any hints are appreciated.

[​IMG]

I found it in bits. The problem in reassembly is that the knob is reverse threaded, when you thread in the knob it pushes the doors up, if you fully thread the knob, the doors leave the baseplate.

Check the knob's position in each image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Nice razor.

3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Maybe it's just me but it looks like it's correctly assembled to these eyes

4. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Looks like the TTO knob portion is not threaded onto the shaft of the TTO mechanism far enough. That's probably the reason you are able to open the doors too far. I would assume that in the second photo, you would want the TTO knob bottomed out against the handle when the doors are opened to the correct position. This is my assumption, I do not have a British Gillette. I am sure some of the guys here do have one, and could verify if I am correct or not. Maybe PM DrTerror, looks like he has taken a razor or two apart before. Best of luck, and keep us posted. By the way, very beautiful razor.

5. theunnamed

As I learned from a well known member in a different platform, the entire handle has to be spinned to correctly assemble it. I haven't tried yet. I'm gonna nickel plate the baseplate since it has some tiny brassing on it.

6. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

do you have a link to the repair info.

7. theunnamed

Sorry, I don't have any links about that, It was during a chat session.