Rec'd: 1915 Single Ring-Father's birth year razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Glaswegian, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

I just purchased and received a 1915 Gillette Single Ring razor. My father was born in March, 1915(passed in 1979) and I've been looking for his birth year razor. This one is the first 1915 razor I've come across. I think it shows well for its age(haven't tried to clean/polish it yet), especially considering what I paid for it. The date code is readily seen. The handle has no cracks, and only 1 tooth is slightly bent. I'm extremely pleased.

It's going to be a very special day, when I shave with this razor on my father's 100th birthday next year. I just can't decide whether to shave with it before then, or not.

Here's a couple of pics. - one of the razor, and one of my father. I'm not exactly sure, but my father was in his early to mid twenties in the photo and had recently been drafted(British army-WWII).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

What a cool way to connect with both your paternal history and a touch of the past. Enjoy the shave......hope it is a great one.

Glaswegian likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice! I'd wait for your dads 100th birthday. It would be a super way to honor and reflect. Happy Shaving!

Glaswegian likes this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

That looks like nice razor should clean up nice.

Glaswegian likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Dave, here is the best way to clean these razors.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-gillette-single-ring-cleaning-picture-heavy.25538/

Enjoy the family heirloom!

Glaswegian likes this.
  6. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

I'm leaning towards waiting till his birthday, as well. It's not as if I don't have other razors I enjoy using, and I think it will just be that much more special if I wait. Thank you for your input, RaZorBurn.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member