Recommend a bottle of wine

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Dec 11, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'll be cooking some skirt steak and would like a nice glass of wine to relax tonight. What would you recommend? I don't know anything about wine but I'm thinking about dropping beer for the most part and switching over to wine so I'd like to start learning. Also is an aerator a necessity?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

IMHO, it depends on how you're going to season it. Yes, you want a red wine. But, if you're going easy on the spices or going with the herbals like parsley, cilantro, mint (a great combo, btw), then go with a lighter red like a Pinot Noir or a chianti. If you're going heavier on the spices, black pepper, garlic, chili, etc. then go with a stonger red like a cab or a shiraz. Just my two cents.

Basically, you don't want the wine to overpower the taste of the steak (and marinade) and vice versa.

For the bonus round: puree together garlic, kosher salt, cilanto, basil, and mint, black pepper in olive oil and marinade that steak for a couple hours. Reserve (before soaking the meat) some for a side sauce. Everything is in proportion to taste.

wristwatchb and txskimo like this.
  3. txskimo

The steak is just going to be seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked in olive oil. Any recommendations on a specific bottle hopefully under 20? I suppose I could just choose a random bottle within those two reds and figure out what I do and don't like.

4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I much prefer reds over whites. so, I would get the Better Reds. But, the Whites here are also very nice. My mom got the reds as a xmas present today.

txskimo likes this.
  5. richgem

I've had some great luck choosing random bottles. It's fun and you sometimes find a real gem. I have also learned that price tag means nothing. I've had some excellent $7 bottles and I've had some awful 20 + dollar bottles.

txskimo likes this.
  6. richgem

if you're going to buy the wine and not use something you have around, ask the guy at the counter what he recommends.

txskimo likes this.
  7. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Seghesio zinfandel at just under $20, or McMannis cab for less than $10. Either will pair well with the beef. I had a bottle of the McMannis with a grilled ribeye just last night. Wonderful dinner.

txskimo and richgem like this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Right now, Apothic Dark is still in stores. It's a great red for a great price.

Dropping beer? You're drinking the wrong beer.

rbtek1 and americanshamrock like this.
  9. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I rarely drink wine but SWMBO does and one that she likes that I have enjoyed is J. Lohr cabernet
    [​IMG]

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. txskimo

I was thinking about Ravenswood cab after reading a review on it but I might go for the Mcmantis. Also I'll be getting it from the grocery store so nobody to really ask for recommendations. I found this wine club I also considered for the future but I might just take chances shopping myself. Thanks for the help so far.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Well la dee da. This is a shaving forum. We use sharp razors and eat bacon here.

45auto, txskimo and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy097:

13. richgem

Barbarian!

:D

And here's further proof:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  14. txskimo

It took me awhile to find either of the bottles I was looking for, but once I did they were only several bottles apart. I think it was a sign to just buy both of them. [​IMG]

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some nice choices....:happy088:

txskimo likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We like J. Lohr wines too, along with Justin (another central California coast vineyard.)

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Barolo.

figment714 likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Now, wait a minute! I like a nice glass of wine every now and then. :p

1.jpg

19. txskimo

So I poured a little right after opening the bottle to try then poured a regular glass through an aerator. Wow....I won't pour another glass without one or at least using a decanter. I honestly didn't think this 8 dollar device would do much but I'm glad I grabbed it.

20. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Champagne, or sparkling wine as it's called when it's not from France, is carbonated wine. I am not brand conscious and love mid-priced, USA produced, extra dry or Brut.