Recommend me a good starter brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Razor Blade 79, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

What's a good starter brush that's under $30?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What's your preference? Boar, Badger, or Synthetic?

3. Razor Blade 79

I'd like to get a badger brush.

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/silvertip-badger

You want to order the "brush", not the "knot." Prices start at $28. I personally would shell out the extra $14 for a 30mm brush w/knot, but I like 'em big.

Edit: I've never ordered from Larry, but he has an excellent reputation here, and most standard brushes have a 20-24mm knot. You can find cheaper "badger" brushes, but they won't be silvertips.

See my brush sticky in the brush section if you are unaware of the different grades of badger brushes.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. Razor Blade 79

I'm new to this so I'm assuming knots won't shed as much?

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No matter what brush or brand you get, The knot, which is the part that sticks out of the handle, shouldn't shed more than a couple of hairs each shave for the first week or so you use it. After that, it shouldn't shed at all.

The Tweezerman branded badger brush is notorious for continuing to shed until it falls apart.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 plain

It's the only one I've used... But, it's cheap, and badger.

Walgreens local to me has Em as well.

van der hagen.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. Razor Blade 79

Thanks for all the great info! I just read your sticky, great education for a beginner like myself. I was looking at the tweezerman brush earlier too, looked good. Now that you say its got a bad rap for falling apart I'm gonna have to pass on it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Both of those (VdH and Tweezerman) are cut to shape and machine formed, as a result, they are less dense than most badger brushes and are way more scritchy (they are also really affordable). They are fine as a starter brush, but most people end up upgrading from those once they find out that there are better options.

Edit: Read the reviews for the tweezerman on Amazon, they may have fixed that problem. I heard about it several years ago.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 plain

Oh rly now? Guess I gotta hit that sticky of yours.

I thought badger was badger. ;)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The VDH and Tweezerman are boar brushes - yup, hog bristle.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Pure or black badger brushes are the cheapest badgers but they do tend to be a little prickly. The Whipped Dog silvertip is probably your best bet in that price range. I don't have one but I've heard that if you have any problems with the brush, Larry has great customer service which you probably won't get from some random ebay seller. If you want to spend just a little more ($40 - $50) you could get one of the less expensive Simpsons in best badger and not feel the need to upgrade for a long time.

Something else to think about. A really good boar brush can be had for less than your price target. They take a little time to break in but they'll be less prickly than a pure badger and have lots of backbone. The Omega 10049 can be had for about $10 and it's a really well-liked brush. I don't think you could go wrong starting there. Even if you decide to get a badger later (and you probably will), you'll probably still pull out the boar brush and use it pretty often.

entropy1049 and PatrickA51 like this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:
    I have to agree with Feeltheburn and second the recommendation for the Omega 49 as a starter brush.

entropy1049 and PatrickA51 like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Omega 49 owner and lover, here.

entropy1049 likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use daily and love my #6 Horse hair from bestshave...The price is unbeatable at around $5 shipped,although the QC isn't always that great, for the price you can order a couple and use the best one..I have several and although some of the knots aren't quite as dense as others, they all lather well for me of course "YMMV"..:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

You might consider a synthetic brush. A good synthetic brush compared to a badger will: cost less, feel softer, and dry quicker. Frank Shaving has some nice synthetics (as well as some extremely affordable badger brushes) on eBay.

The Golden Nib sells synthetic knots as well as handles (there is an extra charge if you want them to put it together for you, but all you need is some two part epoxy to do this yourself.)

I have order gear from both shops, they both have excellent service and good prices (FS is based in China, so there is a wait, but it's not long at all, about two weeks or so). I've also worked with Larry from Whipped Dog and can't say enough good things about the guy. No matter who you go with, those three shops are excellent vendors.

http://stores.ebay.com/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop

http://www.thegoldennib.com/

18. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 plain

Box of the VDH says it's badger.

19. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Tdmsu likes this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.