Recommend me an open comb razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LGh, Mar 20, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Brian, that's a closed comb, in the 1912 patent it's called a "comb-guard". By the way, that one you have there is from a WWII military issue set. As far as I know they never sold any with that particular handle to the public, it was made with the dull finish for the military.

Erik Redd and feeltheburn like this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Here's a couple pictures of my open comb 1912 Damaskeene, you can see the difference in the comb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Erik Redd likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom. I get the difference now. That's some great info on the razor that I didn't know. I knew the handle seemed unusual but had no idea it was a military issue one. Thank you for enlightening me and I'm really glad to have such a great piece of history.

4. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

I've been using the Italien Barber offered Razorock Little Bastone. For a $20. safety razor I think I got my money's worth

Hanzo likes this.
  5. LGh

LGh New Member

You have all been most helpful. Today a little package arrived with something a little bit different: A vintage Swedish made Matador open comb razor, for about $8 including shipping. It will surely be interesting to try!

6. anaguma

anaguma New Member

My New Improved Tuckaway arrived yesterday, and I took my first shave with it this morning. The shave was so good that I had to tell someone. (The wife doesn't quite understand ...)

I had read that Tuckaways were "aggressive" , so I was a bit apprehensive at first. I snugged down the handle as tight as "a lid on a pickle jar" so as to limit the blade exposure as much as possible. That did the trick. Even though this razor has a comb guard, it felt as smooth as a Tech. Buttery smooth. Towards the end of the third pass, as usual, there were a few of those pesky remaining hairs. Rather than scalp myself, I tried loosening up the handle a little bit. Just by backing it off a sixth of a turn, I increased the blade exposure slightly, making it easier to reduce those hairs just a little bit more.

What a wonderful razor. It has a delicious feel in your hands. The thick, somewhat short handle gives the Tuckaway just the right amount of heft. Adding to that, the luxurious 1920s silver plating contributes to the feeling of solidity. I felt like a passenger in a first class cabin on a cruise ship bound for Europe taking his morning shave. No hurries, no worries. A bracing, brilliant start to the day.

The combs. I have a couple of NEW Gillettes: one long comb, and a short one. Both have the "common bar" handle. For me, the short comb NEW is less aggressive than the long comb. (I am aware that others have the opposite opinion.) I just prefer the short.

This is my first New Improved, but already, I love the ability to adjust the aggressiveness via tightening or loosening the handle. I know this could be done on any 2- or 3-piece razor, but it seems to make more sense, more of something that you should do on the New Improved Tuckaway.

tuckaway01.jpg

LGh likes this.
  7. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

+1 on the Cadet/Razzorock OC's, cheap, well made, fairley aggressive, the closest shaves I got :D

8. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Randy, nice to see you around again!

9. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I just shaved with my iKon Deluxe Open Comb with a Kai blade. BBS. If you want a SS razor, you can find these on the bay for less than $100.

iKonDeluxeOC.jpg

10. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

To me the LC NEW is a nice razor, but it's really a Tech with a comb. I don't find it aggressive at all. It's very easy and intuitive to use.

anaguma, thanks for sharing the picture of your Tuckaway. That's gorgeous.

11. Technium

Technium Active Member

Wow! Now that makes me drool!

12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

CyanideMetal likes this.