Recommendation help

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Gobucks, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Hi everyone,
    Wow I have to say I decided to start wet shaving and really love it. Still learning the proper items to do and in time will hopefully be a pro ha ha. But it really makes you slow down and enjoy the morning. It is really something I look forward to starting my day.
    There are many many many items to choose from out there many!!
    What I would really appreciate is if you can tell me YOUR BEST item!! Just one (ok if you have a tie 2 would be good).
    I am looking for 3 items:
    Shave soap
    After shave
    And if possible wash soap (liquid or bar either)
    I do not care about a scent. Just what you like best.
    I do look forward to your response and have a great day.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den. Best items are very subjective. I really like TOBS, Captain's Choice, and Haslinger for soaps. I use a Fatboy almost exclusively for shaving, on setting 5. I like Nacet, silver blue, and polsiver for blades.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Gobucks , glad to have you join us.
    Superspeed
    VDH Luxury Soap
    Aqua Velva
    I use Dove Unscented Bar Soap on the recommendation of my dermatologist.
    zwelcome1.jpg

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

George X, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Welkommen!

My personal best (so far):

'41 Ranger Tech, Voskhod blades, Williams Mug soap (since 1840!) lathered with a Strong Set boar brush, and Nivea sensitive after-shave balm.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Gobucks! Glad you joined us. You'll find no end of advice, opinions, even actual information here. Take a moment to visit The Newbie Giveaway for your chance at prizes. Read the rule to be sure you qualify.
    I'll echo Chris's @lightcs1776 statement.
    Skin types, beard types, mineral content of water, & many other factors have each shaver choosing their best products. All are welcome.

My Best varies depending on my mood that day. I am inclined to use tallow based shave soaps, but enjoy several vegan blends too.

While I've collected and use many Pinaud aftershave/cologne products, I also like vintage Avon AS. Proraso makes a product called Refresh that has a nice scent and leaves a great face feel. Osage Rub followed by Murray & Lanman's Florida Water works well especially during these hot summer days on America's South Coast.

I found Old Spice bath bar in a discount bin at a Fred's store. It's my current soap of choice when showering. Unfortunately the discarded cellophane wrapper had the scent description so I can't tell you which one I am enjoying.

RaZorBurn123 and jtspartan like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

1) Shave soap - Stirling soaps or Barrister and Mann
    2) After shave - Chatillon Lux
    3) wash soap - Stirling soaps or Dr. Bronner's

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Ok. I'll throw down.

Peet's Coffee (typically Major Dickason's because Costco carries it)
    Duke Cannon - Smells Like Naval Supremacy
    Dove for Men Hydrating Face Wash
    Rockwell 6S or 6C
    Taylor of Old Bond St (TOBS) Avocado (Today. Tomorrow? idk)
    Nivea Aftershave Balm for Sensitive Skin (white cap)
    Mickey Lee Soapworks Grand Havana AS splash.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Shave soap - Stirling. Buy a few samples in different scents as opposed to a single tub.
    After shave - Humphrey's or Thayer's Witch Hazel. Pick the scent that sounds best, but I like Peach and Lilac.
    Wash soap - Plain old Amber Liquid Neutrogena

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Shaving soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat, Van Der Hagen Luxury and Sego Lily. Of the three, I found Sego Lily to be the best. They also make bath soaps.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

A recommendation for you.

This recommendation is right up there with my favorites.
    Tampa Shave Company Mango Lime. It's very nice.
    And if your near Tampa, you can shop for it locally. He has several top notch soaps and aftershaves in his store.
    He's in Oldsmar, tell him Missy's dad sent you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

You asked for Shave Soap, Aftershave and Wash Soap. Can't help you with the Wash soap as I just use Dove.
    As for Shave Soap, there are dozens of excellent choices, but I would echo a previous comment and get some Stirling samples. They are the best sample sizes for getting to know a product. I would recommend getting at least one of their mutton tallow soaps, get a least one of their essential oil only soaps in case you have some skin issues with fragrance oils and get one mentholated just because (Margaritas in the Arctic is a good start).
    As for After Shaves- I'd start with Thayer's Witch Hazel. Any scent, really, as it fades very quickly. I use the Alcohol-Free toner, but others use the Alcohol based Astringent with similar results.
    For a scented aftershave, there are again tonnes of good choices. If you're placing a Stirling order for soap samples, grab an alcohol-based after shave there. If not, I'd say any Barrister's Reserve splash is excellent and based on classic scents.

RaZorBurn123 and Shaver X like this.
  15. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Wow I have to say a big thanks for the suggestions. I will look into some of these.
    Thanks again.

Paul Turner, RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Dove works well both as a wash soap and a shave soap. It's not the ne plus ultra of shaving soaps, but still does a pretty good job.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!!

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Shave Soap- it's a dead heat between Route 66 "Rum Runner" and Mitchell's Wool Fat
    After Shave- here it gets really tough.
    Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
    Aramis
    Cella
    IMG_0097.JPG Gillette NEW Short Comb ca. 1932-1940. It's my first vintage razor and like your first love, a sentimental favorite.

19. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I love the way my skin feels after I use Xpec shaving cream (really what you would call a croap). That is my number one for skin feel, at least for now. A lot of people hate the scented version's scent, but I use the unscented. And since no one has suggested it yet. Stirling. ;) It really is great, as are their aftershaves. I also like Wet Shaving Products soap and aftershave, the aftershaves work well and have scents that really last. Captain's Choice's Cat o Nine Tails (Co9T) is another excellent aftershave, but I have never tried their soaps.

Terry Williams likes this.
  20. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Shave Soap- Stirling
    Aftershave- Stirling
    Bar Soap- Stirling...

(I'm a fan of Stirling! :D)