Recommendations for a DE Newbie & Opinions on the Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LSUfanBR, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

Traditional wet shaving is like meditation for me. Now I lurnning to shave with straight razor. I do not understand people who rush through shaving. Guys you must take some time for your right pleasures. Why shaving must be quick? I never understand that? I am in wet shaving at start (used cartridges no more than two or three years ) and I have 38. So I have and skill and if I must I can do it soldiers quickly (who was in service know what I mean) but why? Shaving in evening instead morning, make from shaving you mentaly cleaning process and enjoy

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@OP-I started with a 1958 Superspeed. I personally recommend the Lord L6 as a great razor to start with.

3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yea I've swapped to an evening shave for the time being, while I'm slow and learning new technique :kar:

4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get a Futur as a newbie because even on the mildest setting they're Uber aggressive. I'd get a Merkur 23C, 33C, 34C, Barberpole or a Muhle/EJ R89/DE89.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Didn't read the whole (or most) of the thread, buy my $.02 is this...Merkur is pot metal, it decays on it's own over time no matter how well you treat it. I saw you want an heirloom to hand down and adjustable...I'm assuming many above told you to get a fatboy, I'd second that!

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's ridiculous, it only decays if it's chipped. I have pot metal razors from the 30s that look marvelous. The Futur is in its 35th year of production, there should be plenty of decrepit Futurs around to prove your point..I haven't seen them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    FaceScraper likes this.
  7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

There are still many, many, many, many, many "pot metal", "gun metal" Zamac razors out there that were made over a half century ago and still look brand new and work as well or better than many new razors.

Zamac is fine and gets a bad rap.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    FaceScraper and jmudrick like this.
  8. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

I'd also recommend the Parker Variant...excellent adjustable! I have the Variant, Rockwell 2C, and 6S.

If your goal is to not get sucked into RAD (razor acquisition disorder), an illness most of us have contracted, these will be all the inoculation you need to be a happy and healthy wet shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceScraper and entropy1049 like this.