Recommendations for Synthetic Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by LSUfanBR, Aug 16, 2017.

1. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I currently have a pure badger brush that I use with shaving cream, but I am interested in getting a synthetic brush, along with a boar, to give one a try and see how I like it. I would like to get one similar in size, or slightly larger to my current badger brush which has a 63 mm handle, a 50 mm loft, and a 21 mm knot. Does anyone have any recommendations for synthetic brushes?

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The only one I have actual experience with a Whipped Dog. 24mm knot and about 56mm loft. It's soft with the scrub of a boar brush. I paid $24 for the knot and the handle I chose for it. There are cheaper options than this but it is a rather nice brush to use. I'm currently deciding between RazoRock Big Bruce 26mm knot 63mm loft with a total handle height of 113mm or Stirling's Kong of about the same dimensions.

LSUfanBR likes this.
  3. LSUfanBR

Thanks for the tip! I'm checking out their website and I love the variety available.

Zykris likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My wife likes her Razorock Plissoft. It's a good brush, although I prefer boar. I have tried it while on vacation and can't complain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hairy Alaskan, Zykris and LSUfanBR like this.
  5. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

The Plissoft Bruce and the EJ STF v2 XL are my favourite brushes. Bear in mind that badger and synthetic knots will behave differently so loft sizes and knot sizes may not necessarily translate to face feel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LSUfanBR likes this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Badgers feel way bigger than the synthetics. Must be the water retention or something. Personally, I would never go smaller than 22mm for a synthetic, and I think 24mm is the sweet spot for most people. If you want to try something good, but inexpensive, I say check out Maggard, Italian Barber, and Stirling and pick the 24mm that has the handle and price point you like best.

BigMark83, LSUfanBR and Zykris like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I feel that the razorock 400 is the best synthetic brush i have.

I have
    Frank Shaving pur-tech
    Kent infinity silvertex knot
    Plisson ll'occitaine
    Razorock 400
    Muhle silvertip fiber

Second place goes to plisson

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    LSUfanBR and Zykris like this.
  8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I have multiple synthetic brushes. None better than Stirling. Also last week I bought a super cheap 26mm synthetic on sale from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements in a Brazilian hardwood that is outstanding.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

RazoRock has the best brushes for your dollar.

Hairy Alaskan, LSUfanBR and Zykris like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Haven't seen anyone mention, so I'll give a plug for APShaveCo on Etsy. I've tried a couple different synthetics but the Tuxedo knot is a favorite. I also enjoy their Cashmere knot. I have these mounted in custom handles, buy they sell them ready to use from their Canadian location. Very soft, no scritch or scrub, you hardly feel the brush - only the lather.

Someone was showing photos of a flat top synthetic that I'd like to try.

Zykris, jtspartan and LSUfanBR like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Any Plisson, Plissoft or Tuxedo knot is what you want.

Don't buy it until you're ready to stop wasting money buying brushes you'll never use again.

Just saying...

12. LSUfanBR

For my first synthetic I have to admit I like the price and the look of the Stirlings. I may order one of those since if I dont end up liking it I wont have spent an arm and a leg on it.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Zykris like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Synthetic brushes:

Low cost, high value: Stirling soaps, maggards, @Jayaruh

Medium cost: that darn Rob, wolf Whiskers

High cost: declaration brushworks

Zykris and LSUfanBR like this.
  14. LSUfanBR

Thank you again for the tip! I really like the look of the RazoRock Chrome Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush, which is very close in handle size and loft size to my badger with a similar shaped handle, and a larger knot. This may be exactly what I was looking for!

BigMark83, Zykris and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. LSUfanBR

Zykris and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

17. LSUfanBR

Those are some nice looking handles as well! However they are a little pricey for me at the moment, mainly because I've never used a synthetic brush. If I end up liking the first synthetic I order I may have to order one of those down the road as they are beautiful and hand-made.

Zykris likes this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Starting off...get a Stirling soaps synthetic. After that...move onto fancier stuff, but price can call, nobody beats Stirling

Zykris and LSUfanBR like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Depends on your own preferences, I would say ... I don't like the Plissoft style fibres at all, for instance. Nothing better than the fibres that o.a. Mühle use in their Silvertip Fibre brushes, for me.

I could happily use my Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre brush as my only brush, for the rest of my life.

But someone else may intensely dislike them, or may find them overpriced.

20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synth. 26/63mm
    [​IMG]
    RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synth. 28/63mm knot
    [​IMG]
    Omega Hi Brush Barber Pole 46806 30/60mm knot
    [​IMG]

LSUfanBR likes this.