Red & Blue Tip superspeeds-paint colors or codes

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 21, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have a red tip and a blue tip that I’d like to re-paint the tips on. Does anyone know what the correct colors are or the paint model numbers or codes or specific identifiers?

Jim99 likes this.
  2. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Krylon Harvester Red is very close to an exact match for the Red Tip. Because of the paint's durability it should stand up to every day shaving use. There are some articles on the web that describe how to heat cure the paint. Oven bake at 200 degrees F for an hour, etc.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

What do you use to remove the remnants of the old paint without damaging the plating?

MR41 likes this.
  4. william beer

try soaking it in mineral spirits for awhile. I forgot what I used - maybe acetone. Didn't seem to hurt the plating. I also used 0000 steel wool to help in the crevices and crannies but I was careful not to damage anything. Careful when using solvents - make sure you have a well ventilated area you you give yourself an unintentional buzz. Not healthful either.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you go to the Dollar general and look in the nail polish ... one bottle and you'll have paint for dozens of razors. If you goof up, they have nail polish remover. Yes, they even have blue.

AGHisBBS, MR41, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Brass brushes are usually pretty easy on chrome as long as you don't push really hard. Chrome is harder than brass, so the brush will flake off the paint.

As for the paint color - Gillette didn't appear to be that careful with their colors. Get close, and you're as good as the factory!

Jim99 and MR41 like this.
  7. william beer

I happen to like the red tips w/o paint.

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

How come?

9. william beer

Just something about painting a nickel plated surface and then having it chip off over time. I have reconditioned some Red Tips and then painted the tips. I have seen some replated with various metals and the owners have either had the tips painted or left them unpainted. Just my sense of aesthetics but I like the unpainted ones a little more than the painted ones. I'm not saying that I dislike them painted though. Plus I can tell that the unpainted versions are Gillette "Heavy" models w/o the red tip.

MR41 and RyX like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Purple Power, or any concentrated degreaser, will remove any enamel after an overnight soak with no harm to the razor itself (unless any of it's aluminum, then it'll dissolve). Come to think of it, would clean out any razor gunk too.

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I understand where you’re coming from.:)

12. william beer

I forgot to mention that I really like red tips. My 1956 red tip could be my everyday shaver but I also love my Aristocrat.

MR41 likes this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m a big fan also. My red tip could be my everyday shaver, but part of what I enjoy is the novelty of using different setups.

14. william beer

To quote a wise man..."I understand where you're coming from"

MR41 likes this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:)