Red rocket tip paint comparison

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gemmicro, Jul 8, 2014.

1. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

So I just got done cleaning up, re-plating 2 red rockets. One still has the original red paint on the tip, and the other I've painted with the International tractor harvest red paint that other people have used online. I will upload pictured tomorrow to show the difference between the original and new paint. I'm sure other people would like to paint the tip if theirs isn't in great shape. I'm actually curious about this too,;I feel its going to be to0 red, but I won't know until its dry and sunny tomorrow.

2. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

As promised. Still a little hazy outside, but here it is. Left is repainted, the right is the original paint.
    [​IMG]

3. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

To be honest, looks too red to me also. Perhaps some others can point to a more accurate paint.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've seen various shades of red on Red Tips in the wild, some skewing almost to maroon/purple, due to 60+ years of exposure to who knows what.

5. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I also had one last year in the box, + model, that was more red than maroon.

6. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Sorry, that pic is too small for me to see some difference. Yeah, there is some, but maybe it is just a shadow, or so.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yeah, too small here too. One looks a tad brighter but from the size I really can't tell much of anything.

8. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

Here, this should be better.

9. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Coming from a color blind guy, that looks good :D

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks good to me, too.

12. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Well there is difference for sure, but looks good to me.

13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

[​IMG] Was that the Krylon Harvester Red?

Attached Files:

14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah I can see the difference. As someone who used to dye his hair crazy colors in the 80's, the old red looks more what I'd call Fire Engine Red, while the new one looks what I'd call Poppy Red.

Nice look on the new one, btw!

15. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

It was international Harvester red, but not Krylon brand. It was the Rustoleum equivalent. Got to love bright nickel and red!

16. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Thanks for the larger picture. Now that it is posted, the colors look a lot closer. Looks like a keeper to me.:happy088:

Also, did you spray out of the can or did you use an airbrush?

17. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I sell pretty much everything I buy, At least till I find a job in my field (recent college grad). I pretty much have every razor I want anyway, besides the gem in my profile pic. Selling razors gave me a relaxing, fun way to make money while in college. But anyway, I tapped it off, and rattle canned it.