Reference Meals

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by qhsdoitall, May 3, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I was just reminded that I have something called reference meals when I go to a new restaurant. There is one standard dish that I try for each type of restaurant to judge it by. This is what I get.

Chinese - Kung Pao Chicken
    Japanese - Tonkatsu-don, Miso Soup and Salad
    Italian - Veal Paremesan if it is on the menu with an order of garlic bread and a side of Angel Hair Pomodoro. Eggplant if Veal is not available.
    Mexican - Beef Burrito with Rice & Beans for Dinner and Machaca, Rice & Beans for Breakfast with a small bowl of Posole
    Indian - Lamb Curry, Chicken Tandoori, Samba & Idli and Nan
    German - Rahmschnitzel ala Natural dazu hausgemachte Spatzle und Rotkohl
    (Veal, noodles and red cabbage)
    Tai - Pad See Ew
    Korean - Bee Bim Bop
    American - Prime Rib, Mashed Potatoes and Vegetable
    Vietnamese - Vegetable Pho
    Greek - Greek Salad and Lamb Shanks

OK, I am thoroughly hungry. :D

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Burrito???

I thought you said you know your Mexican food.:rolleyes:

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:p I use that to judge the filling. I could have used Tamale, Chicken Mole, Chili Relleno, Pork Milanesa, Chili Verde, Enchiladas, Menudo or a bunch of other stuff. Plus, an assortment of fresh salsas. Nothing fancy. :D

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hey, if they don't have queso flameado, they're just average! :rofl

5. Will

Will Nevermind

May 5th can't get here fast enough can it.:D

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Got my case of dos equis beer and carne asada ready to go!

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Dos Equis XXX

Don't forget to add Tacate :drool :D

8. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

When I visit a new restaurant, I check the Men's room. It it isn't clean, I leave. That is the first reference point. If they pass that test, I check out the menu. If there is no Chicken Fried Steak, I still leave. :drool

St. Croix

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I sure hope I can find me a good

Enchirito

when I'm in Ensenada. ;)
    Later, my peeps.

10. moses

moses New Member

About half my favorite places would fail test number one....

-Mo

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

More than half I'd say. I make it a rule to never look too closely in the kitchen. :D

12. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

I spent 4 years in the food service business. You have to learn to forget...

St. Croix

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yup. That would make me leave, too. I love a good chicken fried steak!

14. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

that is the fastest way to learn about a resturant...

CFS is the height of cullinary acheavment.....

15. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

The fact that you know to say "CFS" says volumes about you! :D

Back in my college days, I would sometimes get a gig training waiters/waitresses for a local country club. At one point, they had hired 10 new staff members, three of whom were roommates from Alabama. I was teaching them the usual shorthand, i.e., CFS, CB for Cheeseburger and FF for french fries. When we got to the final day, I noticed they they were turning in orders with "BB" written on them. CFS w/BB. Ribeye w/BB, etc. I finally had to ask. "What the hell is "BB"?" I still laugh when I think about it. "Baked Botato".:rofl

St. Croix

16. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

15 years as a trucker before I came off the road....I have eaten CFS in every state of the union but Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Florida. the BEST CFS I ever had was in a little pissant truckstop off I 20 right before ya cross into Alabama :eatdrink020 . not to mention worked in cafes as everything from dishwasher to prep cook to grill cook.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So what would be a trucker reference meal besides CFS? Did someone give a "Southern" reference meal?

18. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

biscuits and gravy, eggs, hash browns and coffee....the power breakfast of 15 hour days....

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Where's the Meat! Seriously, something's missing. I love what ya got but, but no meat? :D

20. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

I've never seen biscuits and gravy unless they were accompanied by sausage, either on the side or served in the gravy.

St. Croix