Relapse?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hussell, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hussell

Hussell Member

I haven't posted in a long time. Sorry.

I have been cruising through my morning with a fat boy set on 6 loaded with an Astra for a long time. How long? Made it through a puck of "the blades Grimm" and am about a week maybe two from finishing a WSP puck.

I am considering one of these shave clubs... maybe Harry's...

Does anyone have experience with going back?

Keithmax and EnglishChannel like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I sometimes use a Trac II razor in my travel kit. It provides a good shave, and it's a bit quicker than using a DE. You can get a pretty good deal on a nice Trac II handle and carts on Amazon. I also keep a Dorco disposable cart razor and a pump of Kiss My Face shave cream in the shower for mornings when I'm short on time. I apply the KMF with my hands, and it works fine.

Dorco occasionally runs on-line sales on their cart razors as well. I picked up a bunch of them in a set at about half price a few months ago. I've been pleased with them.

If I may ask, we are you moving away from using a DE?

EnglishChannel and Troy M like this.
  3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I don't think I'll ever go back. Like Charlie, I have a Trac II for travel and for shaving my head. However, with that said, I think the biggest game changer in shaving for me was learning about and using a brush and soap compared to canned stuff and all of the face prep that goes along with it. My prep is pretty simple, wash my face and face lather.

BamaT, 178-bplatoon, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not me.
    Only way would be if I was too feeble or senile to shave myself and someone else had to shave me.

5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Have you ever tried using a safety razor on your head?

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Yes I have, but realized I have too many moles to not draw blood often.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm not going back to cartridge razors. It's too much fun using DEs, SE's, injectors and SRs. My shaves are as good as or better than any cartridge shave I've had in the past.

178-bplatoon, RyX and Troy M like this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I've used a Dorco 4 blade cart (same as Dollar Shave Club) before when I was laid up and thought it was pretty good. No experience with Harry's.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not going back.

Troy M and Jim99 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't have any experience with going back. It is forward for me...

RyX, Troy M and Jim99 like this.
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I tried "going back" at work with a Gillette Guard but it just didn't work as great as a DE.

Going for a more expensive cart just doesn't make sense for me. I have shaved with a DE for so long that there's no ease or convenience associated with it for me.

RyX, Troy M and Jim99 like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Your choices are disposables, carts, electric razors, or whiskers if you're traveling by plane with only a carry on bag. You can't take DE blades in your carry on. I don't mail DE blades ahead or shop for them at my destination.

Actually, a cart shave with a proper lather made by a shave brush is pretty good using my regular two-pass DE shave routine.

13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I'm very attached to my vintage safety razors, both se and de. My first was a gift from my lovely girlfriend, Amy Warner, another TSD member. Wet shaving has become a shared hobby for us. We're both so interested in all of the aspects and accoutrements of it that neither one of us could "go back". We just enjoy it too much. But we do subscribe to one of the TSD mantras..."it's your shave, enjoy it your way". 346x0f4.jpg

jtspartan, 178-bplatoon and RyX like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Never. Once I started shaving with a str8, I’ve only shaved with a safety razor once in the last year. Carts are out of the question for this guy.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I have far too much money invested in a hobby started to save money to go back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BigMark83, Jim99 and jtspartan like this.
  16. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Since my 1st shave with a DE, I have not used anything else....If I dont have time, or cant take one, I dont shave...Granted, I dont travel for work, or HAVE to shave when I travel so that might be why, but I feel like if I did then I would find a way to use a DE.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jim99 like this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Still shaving the way I started (soap and brush, not even sure if Dutch shops sold canned stuff then), so I wouldn't know what to relapse to.

I could see myself going back to just one soap and brush, like I had for years. But not just yet

I do use a Trac II razor frequently; it was good in the eighties, and it is still good.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

mmmmmm...nope

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread... if you think about it.
    Notice that the phrase "going back" is predominant in the responses here.
    But the way it is used here is counter to the prevalent meaning of the phrase.
    You could easily argue that folks who are traditional wet shavers are the ones who are really "going back" to shave methods of a generation past.

On occasion, I am guilty of "going back" to more modern equipment and products. Recently, I have been playing around with...
    Barbasol CANNED Shave Cream
    Barbasols.jpg
    Cartridge Razors including Track II, Atra, and even... wait for it...
    Gillette Fusion 5-Blade
    Gillette_Fusion_All_About_Men.jpg
    and Dorco Pace 6-Blade razors
    DORCO_Pace_6_Blade.jpg
    and even Caliber 5 Blade
    Caliber5_TopCareSensitiveSC_Clubman.jpg
    +other Family Dollar disposables
    FamilyDollarivot_PC_ShaveCream_Lime.jpg

Don't worry. I'm not sick or contagious.
    And this activity is NOT meant to be a permanent forsaking of my traditional shaving systems.
    I'm just having fun challenging myself with these diverse tools and differing techniques.

I prefer to see it as not being stuck in a rut. Plus, I feel some sense of satisfaction when I am able to get a great shave with these products.
    I have a buddy that reminds me when I complain about my meager golf clubs, that Arnold Palmer would have no trouble using them to play well.

Keithmax, Eeyore and sdguero like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My experience with canned gel was not good. I did try it at some point, but I did not see the advantages (for me) over soap and brush.

Regarding cartridge razors; my Trac II is still working as well as it did in the eighties, so why change? Compatible cartridges are still sold everywhere.