remove gold plating ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, May 6, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hi all, I know this question is probably not often asked. But if you wanted to remove the gold plating from a Gillette how would you do it ? I have a New Long comb with serious plate loss pretty much everywhere and I kinda like the copper/brass bare metal look. Any suggestions ?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Brasso. It's aggressive. Proceed with caution. You might want to consider sealing it somehow afterwards. Word of warning. I am NOT an expert, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond as well.

AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Maas also seems to remove it as well. I polish my tech and I can see where the gold was thinning

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

Are you going to replate with something?

5. Linuxguile

No, it will look something like this bare metal:
    [​IMG]

6. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I have a long comb that looks like that. It does not stay that shiny. You would have to lacquer it

7. Linuxguile

Maybe buffing it with renaissance wax would slow the tarnish

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's very difficult getting into all the nooks and crannies. I tried, and failed, with a long comb. The best results were with abrasive polish and a toothbrush. If you do get it looking the way you want, you will need to lacquer it, asap. They tarnish fast.
    I ended up getting it nickel plated.
    Sport Shaving sure does a nice job with the two tone look.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

That's why I was asking. Like the others have said, if you aren't replating, you will need to find a way to protect the finish. I've heard some of the more powerful ultrasonic cleaners may help with removing damaged plating. Might be worth looking into, especially for the nooks and crannies.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Oven cleaner will strip gold plating off. You got to keep an eye on it though, as it will darken the brass if left on too long.

NickMach007 likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Easy Off will not strip gold, but it will take off discolored lacquer. I learned this trick from a well know replater.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

Mother's california gold metal polish. You'll have it clean, lickety-split.

BigMike likes this.
  13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ain't that pretty? Brasso, Mother's, any polish will eventually take off the very thin gold wash on an old Gillette. The problem is keeping it looking like this. Lacquer? Yeah, that works, but will either wear off or discolor over time. Try Deft Clear Wood Finish. It's the quickest, most volatile finish I know of. It's very, very difficult to get brush marks with it on a flat surface. Dipping a freshly polished razor? It'd probably last a year or two.

14. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

They were originally coated with shellac to protect the gold.

Sent from my mobile device

BigMike likes this.
  15. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Maas, Flitz or any mechanical metal polish + some elbow grease will do the trick. I don't like Brasso because it has ammonia. Like other have mentioned it will tarnish very quickly after a couple of shaves and can have a raw copper smell.
    I haven't tried lacquering a razor yet.

16. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

that's one sick looking razor,props

17. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

+1 for shellac. The natural polymer is disolved in alcohol; its low viscosity makes it perfect for dipping. Home Depot sells it in cans, clear or amber. You'd use the clear of course.

18. BigMike

Some thoughts...
    A drop of mercury would attact and disolve the gold instantly. It might do the same to the brass, too, though. Gold is one of the least reactive elements so most chemicals will be ineffective.
    Since the gold was electrodeposited, a better solution might be to reverse the electrolysis process. A plating shop should know.
    A good antiques jeweler might have some ideas.

19. vmarks

vmarks Active Member

I've done plating and reverse plating.

Polishing by hand will work just as well. The gold is so thin it will come right off.

BigMike likes this.
  20. BigMike

+1 for Mothers then.

Robyflexx likes this.