Removing a Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rmcintyre84, Mar 11, 2018.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I have a stainless steel brush handle I love (nice and heavy), but the knot is cheap and floppy. I want to replace it with a synthetic, possibly from Wolf Whiskers. I don't have a drill press, and I'm not a "tool guy." I seem to recall reading about someone boiling a brush to remove the knot. I know this wouldn't work with plastic, or high quality materials you wouldn't want to subject to the heat, but would this work with stainless steel? If so, how long should I boil it? Thanks.

RyX likes this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I would think stainless steel would be ok. I use a double broiler method. Water in a big pot with a tall bowl. Place the brush in the bowl after the water starts to boil. Turn the heat down and put a lid on it. Essentially giving it a steam bath. Carefully removing after a half hour and give the knot a tug. If it doesn't budge, give it another half hour. Most of the time the knots, for me, remove after 30-50 minutes of steaming. Use tongs to remove the handle, wrap a cloth around it so you don't burn yourself and maybe a pair of pliers to tug the knot out. Works for me.

RyX and TestDepth like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Here is a link to a video I used.

Just remember to not let the brush touch water... all about the steam. This said 30 min and I think mine was good at 20.
    Good luck & have fun!
    Tom.

RyX likes this.
  4. rmcintyre84

What would this do to a plastic handle, like a vintage Rubberset?

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Not sure. I used it twice, but both on modern acrylic, and it worked perfectly. I would think it should work since you won’t keep at a boil.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you have any brush handles you treasure; I wouldn't apply heat. I've seen bad results from the boil method. I would suggest using a dremel or a hand drill. There are a lot of members here that can help you.

TobyC, TestDepth, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have successfully removed many knots using this procedure. I have a metal handle with a badger knot in it that I tried to remove, but it would not budge. I tried and tried, but I could not get it out. I finally just gave up. I was actually wanting to put the knot in another handle so I did not want to destroy it. I am not wild about the metal handle. It is too heavy for me and is clanky against glass or ceramic bowls/mugs.

TobyC, RyX and TestDepth like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Every man should have a basic dremel set. You can do a lot with one. That is how I started making shaving brushes.

RyX, TestDepth and Enrico like this.
  9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Depends on the material. Early vulcanized rubber parts will turn white.

TobyC, TestDepth, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Won't know until you try? Older brushed had limited types of glue available. No telling what is used on new brushes. Those of us that restore brushes consider the ease of changing knots while securing them well and choose a glue that facilitates later swaps. If you aren't worried about keeping the old knot a careful mechanical deconstruction is sure and certain. Trim off the remaining bristles and dig the old glue out. No chance of damaging the finish with heat. On the other hand because your handle is stainless steel a little heat ought to be a quicker easier removal.

Take photos and tell us how it went!

TobyC and TestDepth like this.
  11. rmcintyre84

I have a Dremel set. I've tried to use it before in removing a knot. Not much luck.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A rotary tool is all I use and at first the only bit I used was a drill bit. Start by going thru the middle and slowly spiral your way towards the sides. Then I would finish the sides with a sanding drum. Afterwards, I got some burring bits to expand the hole after starting with the drill bit. It'll make a mess, lots of dust, then finish with a large sanding drum because the burring bits will chew a lot and the sanding drums will make a nice finished edge. Keep the tool on low speeds until you get the hang of it.

AGHisBBS, Enrico, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I would avoid heat also, even stainless will discolor.

I can't stand a metal handle, cold, rude, institutional.

Boy they sure will!

Trim the hair flush and go down the center with a cork screw, anything to get it started. I think you just need a little confidence my friend, go for it!

TestDepth, jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well said, Jim.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thank you Jim.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I find these work well and in stock at Home Depot ...
    dc700365-566c-4ee6-b9b8-6ea826332088_1000.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Cut the knot off and try something like this

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I wouldn’t spend the money from wolf whiskers, go to maggards.com and get the knots from there or Etsy. Cheap and similar quality if not exact.

TestDepth, TobyC and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

TestDepth and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I would just cut the knot even with the handle with a pair of scissors and Dremel out whats left. 10 minutes tops.

jimjo1031 likes this.