Removing Scratches From Scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Spyder, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just acquired a Robeson and am looking for ideas of removing Mr. Hargraves name. Not 100% sure of the material. When I rub it, I don't get any odor at all.

IMG_1021.JPG

Keithmax, Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I would leave it personally. I have rifles that have "trench art" (engravings from prior users) or rack numbers from where they were stored. I think it adds to the heritage but some people think I'm odd. JMHO

RezDog, Jim99, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

What about filling them with paraffin?

Jayaruh and Spyder like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wet/Dry sandpaper with lubrication will remove any and all scratches. Do not use acetone.

Keithmax, Jim99, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!
    Kevin; what grit do you think I should start & end with? As for final polishing,

I've also had pretty good luck with Turtle Wax polishing compound. You see any issues here?

BTW: I'm just to anal to leave them "as-is" :)

Jim99, Jayaruh and Stu929 like this.
  6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I almost revised my statement. I would probably lightly sand it to take out some of the surface stuff but the name looks deep and I would likely leave it to preserve the integrity of the scale.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Spyder likes this.
  7. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I usually start with 300 WD paper and progress up to 1500 to 2000 grit. You can get the high grit papers autobody and paint stores

A good finishing step is to get a car compound /polish, headlight repair kits usually have them, to fully smooth out scales. Meguiars makes a polish called Plastic X and it works great

Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info: I have plenty of the W/D paper. I also have the headlight restoration kit, that I forgot about. The name isn't as deep as it looks on the pics. I got really close to show the detail.

Stu929 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I often use wet/dry sandpaper. Depending on the damage, I will start with lower grit, around 220, and work my way up to 1200. It usually doesn't take much time, even when the paper is used dry. When used dry the paper will clog and need to be wiped on a cloth to keep it clear.
    I will usually finish with Flitz polish, or some Carnuba wax.

I just finished with one razor that had badly chipped scales, that I didn't get all the chips out of. The scales had engraving that would have been lost, and since the blade had to be left rustic looking, so to were the scales

Heljestrand23 and Spyder like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

IMG_1043.JPG Well guys; I wet sanded 320 through 1500 and finished with polishing compound. The scales look as new:). Thanks for your suggestions!

Keithmax, Jim99, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Most excellent.

Spyder likes this.
  12. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!

Spyder likes this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I understand wanting to remove the engraving. I passed on an old SE a few years ago because someone felt it was necessary to engrave their name on the top of it. Otherwise I might have bought it. I'm glad you figured it out.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Spyder likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zVERYCOOL.png

Spyder likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice job....

Spyder likes this.
  16. Spyder