Removing Tarnish From Silver-Plated Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Although polishes like MAAS can do wonders for getting the tarnish off of the Old Type silver-plated razors, it can only do so much. You can rub until your arm falls off, but it's impossible to get the tarnish that's embedded in the handle knurling and between the teeth of the comb guard, but this tarnish can be easily removed with baking soda and boiling water. First, line a small bowl or dish with some aluminum foil shiny side up, making sure the bowl or dish is deep enough for the razor to be completely submerged when the water is poured into the bowl. Set the razor in the foil-lined bowl, sprinkle some baking soda on it, and pour the boiling water in. It's best to do this in a sink, as the baking soda will foam up and sometimes overflow. Now, watch in amazement as the chemical reaction of simple baking soda and boiling water floats all of that nasty tarnish right off. Once the tarnish is off the silver, it will now find the shiny aluminum to be a more attractive place to call home. For heavily tarnished razors, this may have to be done several times.

Here are some before and after shots of a Single Ring. The pictures on the left are after a MAAS polishing, and the right after the aforementioned process.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

Thank you, I will try it today

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i use aluminum jelly. the bottle is from 1976. i dont recommend this though :o

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Is that good on English muffins? :D

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I used this method for an old E1 Fatboy I bought at an antique store. It worked very well.

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

it is. it corrodes the nooks so they turn into crannies.

7. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102

I'm not sure Dave, but those might not be muffins you iz eatin!

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:rofl:rofl:rofl

after i ate it my bed folded around me like a clam shell.

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Rick- just wanted to thank you for posting this. It came just in time. I recently found a Slant that was absolutely caked in grime. I didn't think the tarnish in the knurling would ever come out.

After using your process here three times, the Slant looks absolutely beautiful.

THANK YOU!

10. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Monk, you are the Man!

11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I thought this was only supposed to work with silver when it is in contact with aluminum foil. It shouldn't be working on fatboys and plated slants??

12. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

try mothers!

chech out gen forum - 'omg its clean'

i used the step 1 from the mothers line - it removes oxidation/tarnish, but wasnt 100% so then i used the clay bar!!

13. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I've a huge sterling silver jewelry collection and like my metal polished.

I've employed the process you describe above, and while it does remove tarnish, it's not the best route.

I find the the most effective means of polishing silvering to be, hands down, Hagerty Polishing Foam. A close second is Wright's, but I hear it's slightly abrasive on the metal, whereas Hagerty's is entirely non-stripping.

Available at hardware strores, supermarkets and so on.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.silvergiftstore.com/hagsilfoam.html

14. Milton

Milton New Member

Older slants had silver plated handles, while the heads were still nickel plated. My Cole Slant is one of these and the knurling is really tarnished. I know what I'm doing tomorrow :D

15. ctakim

ctakim Member

This is a very helpful thread. I just applied this to my silver double ring to good effect. Thanks!

16. Special_K

Special_K New Member

thanks for sharing guys

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

A couple additions:
    1) This works better in a glass or ceramic dish (poor boiling water solution into the pan/dish). Be sure the item touches the foil.
    2) Using about 20% baking soda and 80% table salt works faster. You need an alkaline environment, but beyond that additional baking soda does little to help. Increasing the conductivity of the water with salt is more helpful.
    3) Be careful to avoid this method with items containing silver solder or fake gems. It can weaken solder and disolve some fake stones.
    4) If doing large volumes, you may need to reheat the water or get a new sheet of aluminum foil. The reaction rate is proportional to the temperature and the foil is taking the sulfur that corrodes the silver. Once the shiney side of the foil looks dull it's time for a new one.

18. Moe

Moe Active Member

Quick side question, do you know if the foil/baking soda trick will also work with Brass items?

Thanks,

Moe

19. Bushranger

Bushranger Member

please add to that...nickel?
    will it upset rhodium