Repairing Broken Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jamesrw30, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

[​IMG]

So this happened to my Dapper Addiction brush that I got for Christmas last night. I am super bummed because I really like the thing. I believe it was bought on Amazon but is no longer available and their website just says coming soon, which it has since December so it doesn't look like I will be contacting them. Is there a recommendation on an epoxy that I can use to put it back together? I figure any waterproof epoxy should work but I don't know for sure. I really like this boar brush and don't want to invest in another one right now. I have gone back to my Omega brush for the time being.

americanshamrock likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Silicon apoxy will work fine

lightcs1776 likes this.
  3. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I used a hot glue gun on mine. Whatever you use, clean out as much of the old stuff first.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Two part epoxy has always worked well for me.

Terry Williams likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bad luck @jamesrw30
    Better luck with the repair.

8. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look around and see what I can find. On a non repairing note, is it normal for a brush to leave bristles in the shave soap? I have noticed this brush has left several behind.

9. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

2-part epoxy if you think you will never want to replace the knot in this handle. Silicone (not acrylic) caulk if you think you may want to take out the knot someday.
    Shedding is normal especially early on. However, if it continues for a long time then you may have a bad knot.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have used two part epoxy with great results. I have also used rubber cement for a non-permenant install. What ever you use, take great care to not use too much. A pool the size and thickness of a nickle is about all you need.

As for the shedding, I have had some that shed a hair here and there, I have also had brushes that shed all the time. If it is an occasional hair or two after the break in, it is probably okay, so long as it is not happening with ever shave. If it does, it is probably a bad knot.

11. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Good to know. Going off what I am finding trying to get a hold of them I am guessing the company hasn't done well so the brush could just fall apart eventually, who knows. I will probably just do a permanent fix and eventually get a little higher end brush. I like the pure boar, super soft compared to my Omega badger. 2 part epoxy sounds like a plan. I will try and chip a bunch of the old stuff out and go from there.

12. DaltonGang

Check out the Whipped Dog knots. I installed a 24 mm boar, and love it. Soft, and a non shedder. Top notch knot.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck with that repair.

14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Delivery Day: February 21
    9500 1146 5866 7047 0694 02

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Try this, available at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Silicone.gif
    It makes a waterproof, but slightly flexible bond. Easy to remove should you replace the knot. Epoxy is very permanent.

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is what I use. I have only had one failure, but that was my mistake. If you use it, let it sit at least 24 hours before using the brush.

RyX, PLANofMAN and PickledNorthern like this.
  17. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

I may have some of that. I may still go the epoxy route and if I decide to replace the brush I will just get handle and all. Haven't decided for sure yet.

RyX likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use 5-minute epoxy for mine.