Repairing GEM Micromatic Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SteveF, Jul 27, 2017.

1. SteveF

SteveF New Member

Is there a way to fix a GEM Micromatic razor, where the two tabs that are on the inside of the blade door (the tabs that fit in the slots on each side of the SE blade) are no longer fixed in place as they should be? * - (The tabs move / flex - which allows the blade door to slide too far forward.)

I have three GEM Micromatic razors: A GEM "Clog-Pruf" razor that has both tabs firmly fixed in place (as they should be); a GEM "Open Comb" razor that has one tab that is fixed in place (as it should be), and one tab that is no longer fixed firmly in place - it moves / flexes; and a GEM "Bullet Tip" / "Flying Wing" razor, where both tabs move / flex (and as a result, the blade door slides too far forward -- nice razor otherwise).

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, that's a bummer. I've never seen that before. Are you attempting a fix? I am interested, but I don't have anything to offer except that it may be possible to braze the tabs back in place. Maybe, maybe not.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Short of brazing (can something that small be brazed to replace what was originally punched out?), you could try small amounts of a high quality 2 part epoxy putty applied from underneath to stabilize what's left of the tabs.

What I'd try: apply epoxy (I like Aves brand) where a little squooshes up inside the tab. Immediately load a blade and GENTLY align the tab atop the blade where it should be. Let it set a few minutes as epoxy starts to cure, then carefully remove the blade. Let it cure. Excess can be easily trimmed off later. It'll be a temporary fix but it could last quite awhile, esp. with a 2 part that's designed to hold up to moisture.

If it doesn't work you're no worse off.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have several of these. Never have seen a problem. The top moves a long way when you close them to secure the blade. Can you get a pic of the tabs?

Jayaruh likes this.